General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why would my car surge and stall like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Why would my car surge and stall like this?

My car has been like this ever since the build last summer. Trying to to get out of my uphill driveway it will surge and most of the time stall.

In reverse its a total nightmare. Any time I give the car throttle in reverse it is just about guaranteed to surge then stall.

Usually it is very rare for the car to act up on the street coming to a stop but today just sitting in traffic I noticed there was a slight non stop surge of maybe 100rpm or so.

I took a vid of what happens when the car is just at idle, in park, and I rev the engine. Watch the 2nd time I rev, the rpms just surge up and down almost stalling untill it finds a steady idle. Then, watch the 6th time I rev, it does the same thing but this time stalls.

Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Could this be the IAC?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hc a4 car never surges while driver, revving, or in park; however, after I shut if off, if I fire it up real quick it idles rich on my wideband, 12.1 or so for 15 second and it surges for a good 5 seconds. As long as I don't touch it, it bumps back up.

Def not an answer, but it could be rich after it sees throttle then searches for idle. Idk why my car does it. My car is also in the 12's for the first 45 seconds it's on. Rest of the time solid 14.8 to 15.2 and 12.5-12.7 solid at wot.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Get some brake cleaner and hose down the MAF sensor inside the intake, it's probable dirty and causing it. seen it many times.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Get some brake cleaner and hose down the MAF sensor inside the intake, it's probable dirty and causing it. seen it many times.
The MAF is brand new.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tramminc
They make a cleaner specifically for MAF, its not recommended to use brake cleaner to clean them.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

bump.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you had your tuner hook up to it to see what's going on?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Only 1 true explaination for a surging idle.....cuz racecar.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KevinR
Have you had your tuner hook up to it to see what's going on?
Yes I did. Issue not solved so im on to the next step.

T T T

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Only 1 true explaination for a surging idle.....cuz racecar.
You will be driving it soon and you will see what im talking about.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it isn't throwing any codes, maybe it's the IAC, TPS, or a vacuum leak. Try to start with those. If I remember correctly, I had a vacuum leak and IAC valve issues (two different cars) and with both of them the car would try to find the idle. But, it would also run pretty crappy at times too with a vacuum leak.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Looks and sounds like a tuning issue to me.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Could this be the IAC?
The IAC is the only thing that can do that to your engine. Now the question is.....Is the IAC itself going bad? Or is something else wigging out and telling the PCM wrong information making it tell the IAC to wig out.

Buy a new IAC and try it. If it doesn't fix it, return it for a refund after cleaning it up real good.

Then I would grab the wire bundle that's coming immediately out of the PCM and move it side to side and forward and back while the engine is idling.....see if it surges. If it does, your PCM-to-engine ground wire could be loose.

Something is telling the PCM to operate the IAC.....or the IAC is going bad.

And NO......you will NOT get an SES light or code until it totally fails.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
The IAC is the only thing that can do that to your engine. Now the question is.....Is the IAC itself going bad? Or is something else wigging out and telling the PCM wrong information making it tell the IAC to wig out.

Buy a new IAC and try it. If it doesn't fix it, return it for a refund after cleaning it up real good.

Then I would grab the wire bundle that's coming immediately out of the PCM and move it side to side and forward and back while the engine is idling.....see if it surges. If it does, your PCM-to-engine ground wire could be loose.

Something is telling the PCM to operate the IAC.....or the IAC is going bad.

And NO......you will NOT get an SES light or code until it totally fails.

Thank you very much man I will try that and report back
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe I completely forgot that when I first got my car it'll sometimes surge (bone stock) in the rain or randomly after I would get on it and would be stopped at a light and after I swapped my IAC and TPS it fixed it 100%. Try that before doing anything else.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Really...im glad you remembered lol Im going to try and mess with the car today. Thanks Mark!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Joe I completely forgot that when I first got my car it'll sometimes surge (bone stock) in the rain or randomly after I would get on it and would be stopped at a light and after I swapped my IAC and TPS it fixed it 100%. Try that before doing anything else.
True. The TPS can also send bad signals to tell the PCM, which will then make the IAC open and close causing the surging.

There's like 4 things.....TPS, MAF, MISFIRES and I think failing 02 sensors......that can all send messed up signals to the PCM causing surging.

I think that's the 4 things. A failing coolant Temp Sensor on the 1998 models like mine can also cause ALL kinds of crazy **** to happen and the engine will run horribly. My car won't even run with a bad or unplugged Coolant Temp Sensor, it surges, backfires, coughs and then stalls. I think the later years don't have that problem.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
True. The TPS can also send bad signals to tell the PCM, which will then make the IAC open and close causing the surging.

There's like 4 things.....TPS, MAF, MISFIRES and I think failing 02 sensors......that can all send messed up signals to the PCM causing surging.

I think that's the 4 things. A failing coolant Temp Sensor on the 1998 models like mine can also cause ALL kinds of crazy **** to happen and the engine will run horribly. My car won't even run with a bad or unplugged Coolant Temp Sensor, it surges, backfires, coughs and then stalls. I think the later years don't have that problem.

I know that you cant tell if they are bad by looking at them but I did take out the tps and iac. They look pretty damn clean. I re installed them and let the car run in driveway. Tried messing with wires,wiggling pcv hoses,wiggling hoses to intake, and no change in idle.

I dont have time to buy new iac and tps today. I still debating to do that or not. I guess I should.

But heres a question...can a messed up vss cause the iac to do wierd things too? The funny thing is the problem im having with the surging/stalling is MOSTLY when im pulling out of my uphill driveway or when im in reverse backing up anywhere.

And another question...if it did have anything to do with a vss issue would the car absolutely have to be rolling? Because if the car has to be rolling in order for the vss to mess with the iac then I could rule the vss out seeing how I get the surging/stalling while in park (just like the vid shows)
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Ok guys, after I re installed the iac and tps back in I got a p0122 tps code. I assumed that the code maybe just because I re installed it. Should the tps show a code after re installing it? Its weird though. It showed up on my obd scanner but no engine light.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Ok guys, after I re installed the iac and tps back in I got a p0122 tps code. I assumed that the code maybe just because I re installed it. Should the tps show a code after re installing it? Its weird though. It showed up on my obd scanner but no engine light.
Looks like P0122 is a Type B DTC, so you will see it as a pending code on the scanner before you'll get a MIL. If the PCM detects the fault again, then the DTC will mature from a "pending" to an active MIL. If not, then the pending DTC will eventually expire and vanish.

Have you looked at TPS voltage values since seeing the pending DTC/plugging the sensor back in? You should never see a value below 0.2v (idle) or above 4.7v (WOT) with the key ON....if you do, there is a problem. Idle is usually around 0.6v.

This may have just been a result of you plugging/unplugging the TPS while there was power in the harness. I'm not sure I'd worry about it, unless the values are off or the pending code matures and trips the MIL. I would, however, double check that the connector is in good condition, clean, and fully seated.

As for the surging, that is an unacceptable amount IMO.

- What are your IAC vaules (as reported by scanner) during the surging, and also when the idle is stable?

- What do the TPS values look like during the surge, and also when the idle is stable?

- What do the LTFTs look like?

- Does your throttle body have a small hole in the throttle plate like a stock one would?

Since this started with the H/C swap and not randomly at some later point, I believe the issue will be traced to some part that was replaced or damaged during that process, or something in the tune itself. I know we talked a bit about this last year. You said that the tuner has looked over the situation and can't find anything wrong....so has he offered any suggestions of alternate possibilities based on his experience?

Quick Reply: Why would my car surge and stall like this?