General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Finicky DRL's

Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finicky DRL's

Ok so I noticed something with my car that I found a little odd. I've posted before about the driver side DRL on my Formula going out and got the usual responses of water getting in there and shorting it out or whatever because I was pissed I bought bulbs and replaced them and 2 weeks later one was out already. Well it worked off and on for a little while, (hasn't in a longer while now) so I only have 1 lit while driving and only 1 turn signal...but I found out that when the car is parked and off if I lock or unlock the car, the DRL's both flash so I know the bulb is still good. Any ideas why the heck it isn't working when I'm driving?

My car does also have the common problem where the gauges sweep, come back and then move to where they should be on start up, which only occurs in cold weather. I assume that is electrical as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Ok so I noticed something with my car that I found a little odd. I've posted before about the driver side DRL on my Formula going out and got the usual responses of water getting in there and shorting it out or whatever because I was pissed I bought bulbs and replaced them and 2 weeks later one was out already. Well it worked off and on for a little while, (hasn't in a longer while now) so I only have 1 lit while driving and only 1 turn signal...but I found out that when the car is parked and off if I lock or unlock the car, the DRL's both flash so I know the bulb is still good. Any ideas why the heck it isn't working when I'm driving?
Keep in mind that the bulbs have two filaments:
#1 - DRL and turn signal
#2 - Running lights

I don't know for sure, but the flash you see locking the car may be the running light filament. To confirm what's really going on, I'd observe the following:

- Turn on the hazard lights and look for the flashing.
- Turn on your headlights with the hazards on and look for the flashing.
- Turn on your headlights with the hazards off and see what lights up.

That should give you some good hints to what is going on. My expectation is that you'll confirm you have a problem with the DRL/turn signal filament, which could have a number of causes. (bulb, socket, wire, DRL module, etc.)

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
My car does also have the common problem where the gauges sweep, come back and then move to where they should be on start up, which only occurs in cold weather. I assume that is electrical as well.
This is from low voltage. Sounds like your battery is weak - so you'll want to fix that soon and either confirm its bad or see if you have a charging problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

^ Excellent advice above. I agree on all points.

I seem to remember an issue specific to the '99 gauge cluster (was the first year for the revised cluster) that makes it more likely to do the "sweep" when voltage is less than ideal.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just go in and disable the DRL's. http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finicky DRL's