General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Constant power steering pump leak?!?!?FBody

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant power steering pump leak?!?!?FBody

I have a 99SS I changed out my power steering pump and resovior along with the Orings. And its still leaking all over the alternator? Heard this is a common probably with the fbodys. Anyone have any idea or any suggestions where it could be leaking from?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

check all hoses. clean it up really good then check for leaks. u could even put some uv die in it to check for leaks. they sell it at any parts store for lesss than 20. just add a little in with the oil then cleck with blacklight or some just look greenish in color. the blacklight ones work better imo. but make sure u clean it really good first before doing it. also after u find/fix the leak make sure u clean out the alternator with some spray. make sure the spray is made specifically for alternators and like parts. but not alot of spray just enough to clean it. dont wanna totally degrease the inside. hope this helps
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

also go to an after market ps cooler. the stock ones on the ss are crap and can leak into your coolant... had this happen to me recently and it sucked. theres write ups on how to swap for aftermarket one for very cheap. search the forum.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Did you change the resovoir seal? Its a special size and has to be perfect. Nothing that regular parts stores sell will come close.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

resovoir seal? in the coolant tank or ps cooler? either way i didnt lol. i replaced the cooler with radiotor hose. then added an aftermarket cooler below the radiator. flushed the coolant system and ps system and removed coolant resovoir and cleaned it out with gas to get all the black s*** from the ps fluid mixing.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by kingof951
resovoir seal? in the coolant tank or ps cooler? either way i didnt lol. i replaced the cooler with radiotor hose. then added an aftermarket cooler below the radiator. flushed the coolant system and ps system and removed coolant resovoir and cleaned it out with gas to get all the black s*** from the ps fluid mixing.
The OP is talking about the pump itself, not the cooler.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Oh my fault... thought u were talking to me

Quick Reply: Constant power steering pump leak?!?!?FBody