General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Yet another problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another problem...

Getting tired of all the little issues now, finally got the codes to go away (fingers crossed) but im chasing this ticking sound now, sounds like an exhaust leak but of course cant narrow down where its coming from.

Seemed to show up after i changed plugs (didnt change wires), all of the plugs went in easy and tightened down except for maybe 2 of them, they went in easy but didnt seem to get "tight" as soon as the others so i could have gotten them tighter but i stopped due to not wanting to over tighten them (maybe i should go back and tighten them more?) Gapped all of the plugs to around 55. Got the plug wires on fully, i think? I cant hear the noise with the hood open from anywhere around the top of the engine, i can only hear it at a drive through or by listening under the car. Like i said, sounds like an exhaust leak.

So is this something typical from a wire not being seated fully? Plug not in all the way? damaged plug wire?

Just need some opinions on things to check, i guess tomorrow (so it can cool down over night) i will take all of the wires back off, and find the two plugs that can still be tightened a little and try to tighten them? And put all of the wires back on... other than that im not sure what else to check????

Sorry for all the questions guys, hopefully i can get this figured out and have the car running (and sounding) right again.

Thanks tech!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

tighten the plugs down, get some msd wires, seafoam the car (theres a write up somewhere on here on how to do it)and make sure u always run 91 octane at least. my 2 cents
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kingof951
tighten the plugs down, get some msd wires, seafoam the car (theres a write up somewhere on here on how to do it)and make sure u always run 91 octane at least. my 2 cents
100% agree with this statement. I use seafoam in my oil and gas tank every 3 or 4 oil changes and always use 92/93 (Premium) Keeps the ticking to a minimum/non-existent. Check your wires at night. When it's completely dark outside go and start the car and look to see if there are any sparks coming from the plug wire area of the engine. If you see a fireworks show then you'll know the wires are shot.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

****** SeaFoam.....god dammit, here we go again.

Unless you like wasting your time and your money and RISK destroying your engine internally.......DO NOT ****** SEAFOAM THE DAMN ENGINE.........jeezuz-kee-riced.
Seafaom in the oil to flush is ok.

Make sure NONE of the spark plug wires are touching ANY part of the metal exhaust manifolds.....AT ALL. This causes a ticking sound and usually a misfire as well.

Make sure all wires "SNAP" onto the plugs and coils.

I guess it could be piston slap......

I would have gapped them to .050....... But nothing wrong with .055

I would flush your engine with ENGINE flush. Add 2 qrts of it and let the engine IDLE ONLY for 15 minutes. then drain it. Then pour in 4 qrts of cheap oil to flush again. Then change the oil filter and add 5.5 qrts of whatever oil you like to use.

PLEASE....do not put SeaFoam into the intake. PATHETIC PROCESS to say the least. If you want to clean the top end....use a FOAM product designed to clean the top end.

Quick Reply: Yet another problem...