General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

There seems to be sand in my coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There seems to be sand in my coolant...

Low coolant light came on today. Went to check the level and there was a lot of sand stuck to the rod and on the walls at the top of the tank. I didn't look at the level because I didn't want to possibly shake the sand off when moving the stick, though I'm guessing there's much more where that came from. I'll be taking the car into a shop tomorrow to have the system flushed, but was wondering if there was a probable cause of this and if this would affect my engine's life a lot. I'm good with taking notice of the temperature gauge while driving and the engine hasn't been overheating, so I'm hoping I don't run into any problems down the line because of this.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a longshot but it might be some of the casting sand from when the engine was made. Pressure leak test the system and then do a complete flush including your heater core.

Anything seem half a$$ed on the car from the previous owner(s)? Maybe they tried putting sand in the radiator to stop a leak before giving up and replacing it.

Good luck let us know what happens after the flush.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

This is a common development with Dexcool when it's allowed to mix with excessive air (from a system leak or being run low on coolant), and/or when it's beyond its service life.

Do you have any maintenance records on the car to show when any previous coolant system services have been done?

If you change the coolant regulary this will not happen. No matter what type of coolant you choose to use, there are side-effects if you do not service the system at regular intervals.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is a common development with Dexcool when it's allowed to mix with excessive air (from a system leak or being run low on coolant), and/or when it's beyond its service life.

Do you have any maintenance records on the car to show when any previous coolant system services have been done?

If you change the coolant regulary this will not happen. No matter what type of coolant you choose to use, there are side-effects if you do not service the system at regular intervals.
Yep, right. Also could be from mixing Dex-cool with another type of coolant.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, when I brought it into the shop the engine went up to 210 on the way. I was a block away so I just continued figuring that temperature wasn't too bad. At the shop they said the water pump was gone and leaking, and there had been dexcool in it.

Since buying the car 5 years ago, I admittedly haven't changed the coolant. First car and it kind of slipped my mind. I do oil changes slightly faster than recommended and such but just didn't think about the coolant. Car went from 67k miles to 110k on the dexcool, plus whatever was put on it between the change and being sold.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
Well, when I brought it into the shop the engine went up to 210 on the way. I was a block away so I just continued figuring that temperature wasn't too bad. At the shop they said the water pump was gone and leaking, and there had been dexcool in it.

Since buying the car 5 years ago, I admittedly haven't changed the coolant. First car and it kind of slipped my mind. I do oil changes slightly faster than recommended and such but just didn't think about the coolant. Car went from 67k miles to 110k on the dexcool, plus whatever was put on it between the change and being sold.
So it sounds like the issue here was old dexcool mixed with air from a system leak. Looks like the result was pretty typical.

Take care of the leak and do a full cooling system flush, and everything should be fine.

Quick Reply: There seems to be sand in my coolant...