General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission just stopped working... :/

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission just stopped working... :/

I have a 1998 T/A w/ A4. I was on the freeway today, and went WOT.. the transmission kicked out of gear and went into neutral temporarily. It caught the gear, and no noticeable problems until I was near my house. I went partial throttle, the car tried to go for it but it slipped out of gear again and never caught back into gear. Now I turn the car on and switch gears and it's 100% neutral in all gears. It's not catching when I switch. I checked the fluid and it looks full but the fluid is nasty murky greyish black. Been about 6-8 months since transmission fluid change. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something simple... but you know it almost never is. lol
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

- Fluid level checks out OK.

- Fluid is a nasty grayish-black even though it's only 6-8 months old.

- It was first slipping in and out of gear only under load, but now won't find any gears at all.

Based on the above, my idea is that it's time for a fresh trans!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, just randomly happened on the way home. Totally unexpected. It never slipped before today even...

I was hoping a fresh fluid change or something might temp fix it until I could fully fix it, but I have a feeling she's toast until the trans is replaced or rebuilt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission just stopped working... :/