General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Should I flush my trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I flush my trans.?

I pulled my 98 ta out of storage yesterday and ran her over to the dealer for a oil change and tire rotation.
I got the car from a buddy last summer so the only service history I have is from the past 4yr's or so he owned it.
I inquired with the service manager about changing the trans. filter since doing a flush scares me on such a high mileage(187k) drive train and no clue if it has been done before. He informed me that he has the same car and that they have no filter just a screen so dropping the pan is a waste of $$$

Ok make sense, He suggested I do a full flush and refill with synthetic fluid and the trans. will be fine. My major concern is who knows when it was last done if ever and I'm worried that the flush may release/clean out the crap that's been...well simply keeping everything working.

So any thoughts?
Thanks Guys
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is an idiot. There is a filter. That high mileage honestly I would not.

I thought about it on my 107k Z28, but decided to drop the pan, replace the filter, and fill back up. After dropping the pan I had ALOT of metal shavings saved on the magnet.

If I went the full flush/fill, I would of been asking for more harm than good and would probably be sidelined for the year for a trans rebuild.

I went with a AC/Delco filter (came with a cork gasket but opted out) and Felpro gasket w/Dexron VI (formally Dexon 3)

Just make sure if you do drop the pan and refill. Do not over tighten the pan bolts.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

It is a filter,not a screen. In 2004 when I did a pan drop,everything was clean and fluid looked good. I installed a TCI finned deep pan with the supplied rubber gasket,no leaks yet. The TCI pan has a drain plug to facilitate draining. I wouldn't recommend a deep pan for a lowered car as speed bumps can be a problem.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!
Grrrrr. I don't have to be back at work until Thurs., So if time I have time tomorrow I'm going to go back and talk him.
Anybody have the links for the shop manual's. I had the PDF's but my old laptop hard drive crashed and was unrecoverable.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont flush it. Drop the pan and change the filter. Thats it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow sorry but thats ******* ignorant...
So this guy at the Dealership said the Transmission does not have a filter AND wants to flush a high mileage transmission and you still want to go back to him, ok that sounds like a good idea let us know how it works out for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Wow sorry but thats ******* ignorant...
So this guy at the Dealership said the Transmission does not have a filter AND wants to flush a high mileage transmission and you still want to go back to him, ok that sounds like a good idea let us know how it works out for you.
That's why I asked brothers.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
He is an idiot. There is a filter. That high mileage honestly I would not.
I agree on both counts.

First off, tell the service manager to look up GM part number 24236799. This is a trans filter kit for a 4L60E (trans that is in your car). He would know this if he bothered to take the time to look it up, like a professional should.

Secondly, like all the others have said, if it's never been flushed before then don't do one now at that mileage; drop the pan and change the filter and that's it.

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
I went with a AC/Delco filter (came with a cork gasket but opted out) and Felpro gasket w/Dexron VI (formally Dexon 3)
Just to clarify this, DexVI was not formerly DexIII but rather the new fluid spec that replaced DexIII. You can use DexVI in an older trans that was factory filled with DexIII, but you cannot do the reverse.

Here is an official GM report on DexVI:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000384801.cfm
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah dex6 is not dex3. I tried getting GM dex3 when I did my stall a few years ago but they told me they switched to dex6 at GM. So when I had my trans out I stood it up on its tail to get all the fluid out that I could. Refilled with about 10 new qrts of dex6. I didnt know we cant switch back though. I have topped it off with a little dex3 at times. No issues.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

I ran an oil change shop years ago. I told people with high mileage not to flush the trans. One customer really wanted it done. Made him sign a waiver that we were not responsible for damage. Came back 3 days later bitching his trans blew. Had around the same mileage. Don't do It
Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Refilled with about 10 new qrts of dex6. I didnt know we cant switch back though. I have topped it off with a little dex3 at times. No issues.
Switching back is no problem for a 4L60E. It's just that you can't use DexIII in transmissions that were originally built for DexVI (i.e. such as 2006+ GM automatics like the 6L80E). The newer transmissions require the newer fluid spec for proper operation, and should not be filled with the older DexIII spec fluid.

But for a 4L60E, or any other trans that came with DexIII, or even old DexII transmissions, you can use either the DexIII "equivalent" (GM no longer issues licensing for DexIII, so most suppliers just call it Dex/Merc or DexIII equivalent now) or the new DexVI as it is backward compatible.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys. I do have a trans. shop that has a great rep. I've dealt with before so I'm going to give them a call and have them just change the filter..
What really ticks me off is in the back of my head I knew he was way wrong. I've always felt the guy has been honest with me in the past
He knows I do most of my own repairs so I'm surprised he tried to play me or was just that ignorant
I'll keep using them for lube & rotation but will have a talk with him on my next visit
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea thats what I meant to say in my previous post lol. I am retarded at times.

Just do the filter yourself. Jack the car up, loosen the bolts without fully taking the pan off. Let it drain. Loosen more, drain, and fully take out all the bolts for 3/4 sides. Slowly let the pan at an angle to drain .

Once thats done. Just yank the filter on out, replace, reverse steps and do not over tighten the bolts. Very easy. If you can turn a wrench you can change the filter.

When I dropped the pan/filter I let it drain for a little bit because I had to pick up some parts, when I got back it wasn't dripping anymore.

Last edited by DeLaRosa25; 04-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I flush my trans.?