General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lost my keys

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my keys

I went to the dealer and had a new key made with the code off of the VIN. I took the key home and it wont turn in the cylinder, the car had 30,xxx when i got it and nothing was mentioned about a ignition replacement, i went back to the dealer and had it re cut and it still didnt work, the told me that my tumbler was worn out, any other ideas short of pulling the steering column to get the ignition out, does the column need to be pulled to get the ignition out?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Hello GYTR-YAMI.

Sorry you're experiencing these issues with your key and ignition. Would you like for us to contact your dealer to discuss some other possible solutions? We would just need some brief information from you and we can attempt to contact that dealer and have further information for you tomorrow.

Reggie D, Chevrolet Customer Care.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

^ is that even legit?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds scammish
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Teching In

If that isn't a scam, then yes that would be helpful, what information do you need?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28-Vortec
^ is that even legit?
GM and a few other OEMs have customer service operations who are participating in the board.

I'd echo similar advice:
- Ask for a refund of your expense and then go to another dealer.
- Always make sure they "punch" the key vs. grind it. You'll get a more accurate cut from a punch and a poorly calibrated grinder can be your problem. (They require a lot of maintenance.) My experience is that the parts guys sometimes don't want to go to the trouble of digging out the punch from whatever box its stored in. The grinder is a massive machine, doesn't go anywhere and is easier to use as a result.
- If the dealer can't punch the key, then walk away.

BTW - I always have my key codes read and store them in a safe place at home in case I need a re-punch. I also keep several copies around in case stuff like this happens - because sooner or later, it will.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I'd echo similar advice:
- Ask for a refund of your expense and then go to another dealer.
- Always make sure they "punch" the key vs. grind it. You'll get a more accurate cut from a punch and a poorly calibrated grinder can be your problem. (They require a lot of maintenance.) My experience is that the parts guys sometimes don't want to go to the trouble of digging out the punch from whatever box its stored in. The grinder is a massive machine, doesn't go anywhere and is easier to use as a result.
- If the dealer can't punch the key, then walk away.

BTW - I always have my key codes read and store them in a safe place at home in case I need a re-punch. I also keep several copies around in case stuff like this happens - because sooner or later, it will.[/QUOTE]

The first time i was there to get it cut originally an old timer came out and used a punch to make the key, then when i got the re cut it was put on the cutting machine.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by GYTR-YAMI
The first time i was there to get it cut originally an old timer came out and used a punch to make the key, then when i got the re cut it was put on the cutting machine.
Hmmmmm. Did they look up the code a second time on your second trip? If not, you may ask them to look it up again. Mabye they punched the ignition key with the door code, etc.?

Do you know the history of the car? If you only received one key with the car, maybe there was something fishy in the past. (Theft, repossession, etc.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost my keys