General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What the crap is this!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default What the crap is this!?

Something was rattling around in my door. I pulled the panel and found this (see attached pic). I know where it goes, but I cant get it to stay put. Anyone know what it's called, what it does, and how I make it stay put???
Attached Thumbnails What the crap is this!?-img_3665.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wtf is that!? o__o
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Time for a new window regulator assembly. That is the balance spring that makes it possible for the tiny electric motor lift your heavy side window when its down.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to my passenger side window, I just put it back in its spot and for good measure I try not to use that window and when I do I don't go down further then 1/2 way.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hahaha......" What the crap is this " ........

Yup, make it easy on yourself. Pull into an auto glass place and pay them to change the regulator arm.......it's a BITCH......

Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Time for a new window regulator assembly. That is the balance spring that makes it possible for the tiny electric motor lift your heavy side window when its down.
Lame. Well, I've been using my window with it off for a couple weeks, so I hope I didn't burn up my motor... What I did for now was put it in my vice grip and and expand that spring. That way the friction locked it in place. So far so good. My motor is fine and I'm not messing with that crap until it dies totally. Thanks for the info guys!!! You rock.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by big_g
so I hope I didn't burn up my motor...
This is where you have to ask the question - "Why is it there in the first place." Did GM add the part because it doesn't do anything?

Originally Posted by big_g
My motor is fine and I'm not messing with that crap until it dies totally.
When this happens, the motor will freeze and you will have no way to get it up. (It will fail trying to put the heavy glass up.) This also tends (by Murphy's Law) to happen during snow and rain storms.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is where you have to ask the question - "Why is it there in the first place." Did GM add the part because it doesn't do anything?

When this happens, the motor will freeze and you will have no way to get it up. (It will fail trying to put the heavy glass up.) This also tends (by Murphy's Law) to happen during snow and rain storms.
Haha! Yeah that sounds about right. Though GM sometimes does a lot of stuff that makes me scratch my head... Luckily, I live in Tucson, Arizona, where it rains like 6 days a year and I'm not exactly sure what this "snow" stuff that you speak of is...?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Come take a drive up North. I'd recommend taking a drive on the PA turnpike during a snowstorm. That's where my first window motor failed me. It was lovely... Snow, 10 degrees, and 65 mph with no window.

I love Tuscon. Sadly, we are all experiencing global climate change and what we see today may not be what we have tomorrow. When you do get your snow, it would be great if you can post some pics of the saguaros dusted in the white stuff!

These motors are garbage to begin with. I don't think they will last too long having to move the glass w/o the counter balance.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Come take a drive up North. I'd recommend taking a drive on the PA turnpike during a snowstorm. That's where my first window motor failed me. It was lovely... Snow, 10 degrees, and 65 mph with no window.

I love Tuscon. Sadly, we are all experiencing global climate change and what we see today may not be what we have tomorrow. When you do get your snow, it would be great if you can post some pics of the saguaros dusted in the white stuff!

These motors are garbage to begin with. I don't think they will last too long having to move the glass w/o the counter balance.
Well I got the counter balance thing back on for now. I just expanded the spring and I think it's on pretty well..for the time being. Yeah I had a Camaro that both windows died, the guy I bought my T/A from just had the passenger motor replaced, and I had one motor on my Yukon go out. Quailty engineering by GM...

We actually did have some snow this past winter. Freak thing. First time in 20 years!! Here's some pics from my front and back yard. (I made extra sure not to roll down my Camaro's window!!
Attached Thumbnails What the crap is this!?-img_3364.jpg   What the crap is this!?-img_3366.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Wow! The end of the world is really coming!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I hear this stuff I am so thankful I ordered mine with crank windows!!

Agree on the Tucson thing. I went to school there (Uof A), and I've missed it ever since.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Every time I hear this stuff I am so thankful I ordered mine with crank windows!!
So many people are looking for these parts, you could probably sell your doors for more than the entire car!

Quick Reply: What the crap is this!?