General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Camaro with lq9 problem. HELP plz!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro with lq9 problem. HELP plz!

Im new to this site and it looks like there might be someone out there to help me out. Okay, so I have a 98 camaro with the lq9 6.0 swap, its ran like a champ for the past about 2yrs iv owned it. However iv replace recently have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and injector under the hood. It has been running weird, when I start driving from a stop its started to not want to GO! when i floor it, it takes off and no problems. I recently notice antifreeze spitting out omy tail pipes(no cadys, x pipe, magna flow mufflers). the radiator fluid has oil in it creating a milky cream color leading me to believe the head gasket is leaking. Whats throwing me off is that my car temp hasnt overheated at all, heater works, and no white smoke from tail pipes. Does anyone know what this could be before I have to tear it apart to do the head gasket job???

Last edited by Chevyjoc98; 04-24-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Angry

Originally Posted by Chevyjoc98
Im new to this site and it looks like there might be someone out there to help me out. Okay, so I have a 98 camaro with the lq9 6.0 swap, its ran like a champ for the past about 2yrs iv owned it. However iv replace recently have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and injector under the hood. It has been running weird, when I start driving from a stop its started to not want to GO! when i floor it, it takes off and no problems. I recently notice antifreeze spitting out omy tail pipes(no cadys, x pipe, magna flow mufflers). the radiator fluid has oil in it creating a milky cream color leading me to believe the head gasket is leaking. Whats throwing me off is that my car temp hasnt overheated at all, heater works, and no white smoke from tail pipes. Does anyone know what this could be before I have to tear it apart to do the head gasket job???
First things first, with the car cold remove the rad cap and look for bubbles this would be a good indication of a head gasket gone south. Best way to test the condition of your head gaskets next to actually removing the head and visually inspecting is do a compression test on all cyls. but yes your symptoms are indicitive of a needed head gasket replacement. but before you put them heads back on check for FLAT deck on the heads ie take them to a machine shop before reinstalling with new gaskets AND get good gaskets Fel-Pro makes a steel one that has a built in bead on it similar to the ls1/ls6 intake mani, like a silicone substance infused with steel.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks, il do that this weekend then. If it does end up being the head gasket then il probably get them resurfaced anyway to be on the safe side. Just praying its something else!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevyjoc98
Thanks, il do that this weekend then. If it does end up being the head gasket then il probably get them resurfaced anyway to be on the safe side. Just praying its something else!
did you see bubbles comming up in the radiator with the car running cold?
I have some pics of what the oil and parts will look like if you in fact have a bad head gasket, ill dig em up and post them tonight when i get home.

Last edited by LIQUIDZ28; 04-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: Camaro with lq9 problem. HELP plz!