General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird VATS issue

Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird VATS issue

My security light has been on for a while but the car starts and runs fine. I finally got around to doing the VATS bypass before this thing leaves me stranded. Went ahead and got the resistors required to match the key and pulled the orange sleeved two wire connector under the dash and disconnected. For gits and shiggles I went and ahead and turned the ignition to see if it would started, figuring it shouldn't. Sure enough the car started with the VATS connector completely disconnected. Is there a VATS fault enabled mode?

2002 WS6 T/A
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I understand it, if VATS fails when the car isn't started, that's when you get locked out. But if it fails after the car is started, it goes into fault enable mode and will keep letting you start the car. It realizes the car isn't being stolen, but rather a VATS malfunction of some sort happened. Pretty sure that's what happened to mine a month or so ago. When I was messing with it later that day, I unplugged the connector and attempted to start it, thinking it wouldn't work either. But sure enough, it did. The bypass didn't shut the light off the first time I tried it, so I'll still have that glaring at me until I decide to do it again.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my biggest thing is just to get rid of the damn light. I might trade it in or sell it in the near future and I'd like that to go away. I might play with disconnection of the batteries and VATS bypass some more to see if it goes away. I'm starting to suspect that possibly someone might have used the wrong key in the ignition switch (such as the wifes Camaro) which could have led me to the fault enabled mode.
Thanks,
T
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried disconnecting the battery for extended periods of time, playing with fuses, VATS bypass, and any other trick that those on here said MIGHT shut the darn thing off. So if you get it fixed, post up here and let me know what worked for you. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird VATS issue