General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any difference between auto and manual radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any difference between auto and manual radiators?

I need to replace my radiator and was looking into the spectra cu1485 as I hear that is the thicker core rad without any of the LT1 crap on it, but someone mentioned it has a trans cooler built in which I won't be using since I have a 6 speed ie waste of space. Do all fbody rads come with the trans cooler built in or should I look elsewhere? If so, who can give me a suggestion on a good non stock drop in.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
I need to replace my radiator and was looking into the spectra cu1485 as I hear that is the thicker core rad without any of the LT1 crap on it, but someone mentioned it has a trans cooler built in which I won't be using since I have a 6 speed ie waste of space. Do all fbody rads come with the trans cooler built in or should I look elsewhere? If so, who can give me a suggestion on a good non stock drop in.
all GM radiators now come set for auto's with the trans cooler i have one in my camaro with a 6 speed works fine
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just buy an LT1 radiator with NO Trans cooler installed. That's what I did. Mine is 10 years old and doing fine.

No way will any aftermarket radiator cool better than an LT1 stock radiator.....unless you have some kind of iron block with 800 HP.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the advice. I plan to only run about 550 wheel on an fi stock bottom ls1 so I assume I should be ok with an LT1 rad. I was concerned with the ports to plug but I'm sure it wont be an issue.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
Thank you for the advice. I plan to only run about 550 wheel on an fi stock bottom ls1 so I assume I should be ok with an LT1 rad. I was concerned with the ports to plug but I'm sure it wont be an issue.
Get the one without the tranny cooler.....and add your own aftermarket tranny cooler. MUCH better cooling than the one in the radiator.....

Quick Reply: Any difference between auto and manual radiators?