General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

First start up in 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First start up in 4 months

I parked my TA for the winter and maybe started once within the last 4 months. I work full time and attend school full time, so I didn't really have much time to mess with it this winter. Besides a nice oil change( oil in it now only has about 200 miles on it but of course will need changed), is there anything I should check or change since I let it sit for so long? I've kind of been stressing out about it lately because I've never let it sit for that long without driving it or starting it up, makes me nervous since its 12 years old now.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

You should be fine. If you want to be on the safe side you can always just change all your fluids.

Only thing I would worry about is bad fuel.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of oil did you use? If it's synthetic it should still be good to go; actually, even if you used dino oil I would still leave the crankcase alone. Obviously you'll have to check your battery, make sure that it's even capable of starting the car. Did you drain or treat the fuel system before you stored it? Again, I bet you could probably use the fuel that's already in the car. Was the car parked outside? I'd check and make sure you don't have critters or creatures living inside of the engine compartment or anywhere else in the car.

Asides from all that, check your fluids, charge the battery, and I bet the car will be good to go on the first turn of the key...
Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

No I did not treat the fuel system, didn't even think of it but I'll probably top off the tank and throw some sea foam in it. It's stored in a garage and it has royal purple in it, it's all I've used since I had the car, currently at 49k mi. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Garaged, RP oil and 49K? My cars are JEALOUS. Oh man, I'd get in that car tomorrow and drive it. It's not snowing anymore, is it?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Battery most likely will need a charge, and the tires might have lost a few psi. If you had a full tank of gas that's probably fine as well. Otherwise get in, drive, and run the A/C.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

No need to change 200 mile old oil if the engine has just been sitting in a garage without being run. Especially if it's synthetic.

Originally Posted by _JB_
Battery most likely will need a charge, and the tires might have lost a few psi. If you had a full tank of gas that's probably fine as well. Otherwise get in, drive, and run the A/C.
I agree.

In the future though, I would recommend putting Stabil in the gas and getting the tank as full as you can prior to storage.

And don't worry about leaving your 12 year old car sitting for 4 months. My 15 and 42 year old cars sit for 5-6 months every winter without being started AT ALL, and they both fire up great every year.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Teching In

I've always used seafoam in the tank after storage
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, don't worry about the oil. My last oil change the oil had been in for over 3 years and 2300 miles. Sat during three winters in that time. I sent the oil out for analysis and all came back good. I always use Stabil before putting it up in the winter, all other fluids should be fine.

Quick Reply: First start up in 4 months