General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter mount issue

I woke up got into the car turned the ignition a terrible screech came from under the car as my head hit the steering wheel in frustration....I thought I can fix this 1hr tops got under the car remove starter and than a few pieces of the starter mount fall off the block as I unscrew the loose bolts......the ear the the long bolt goes through is completely sheared off my guess is the high torque......is their anyone that has a fix for this besides getting a new starter (which ive done)and for the record the mount on the starter is sheared aswell...?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have fun

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ock-broke.html
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

There are several options, starter bridge, run truck starter with only long inside bolt, try having it welded...or use this as an excuse to build a LQ9 408!

Bridge

Thread Page 8 (posted by WS.SIX)

Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Better check if the engine is locked up for some reason 1st.............
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Launching!

how would I be able to tell if the engine is locked up ?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Take the car out of gear, take off the lid, maf and belt, then try turn the motor over with a breaker bar and 24mm socket on crank bolt. With the plugs in it will be harder to turn over by hand, but it is doable.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Is their any other bracket or something that supports the starter or is it just those two bolts ?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xenergyx
Is their any other bracket or something that supports the starter or is it just those two bolts ?

Two bolts....that's it.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Okay good news the engine turns over pretty easily once you take all the sparkplugs out...so now I just get the truck starter and starter bridge and than fixed correct?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Okay! my starter bridge has been installed not the most easiest of tasks especially without a lift infact its a PITA!

You do have to trim the side of the block off flush and than at angle and the two bell housing bolts are near impossible to put back in an once you do pray you have smaller hands and skinny arms to fandangle you army past the collector into the space below the #8 spark plug location.

Did anyone else have as much of an issue trying to tightent the upper bell housing bolt mine isnt completely snugged as I had to use a mini wrench any tips and no theirs no room for a socket and a universal or ratchet setup....
Old 03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
There are several options, starter bridge, run truck starter with only long inside bolt, try having it welded...or use this as an excuse to build a LQ9 408!
Resurrecting an old thread.

Is running the truck starter(two long bolts) with only long inside bolt really an option. My starter broke off, just like most of the pics here, there is a little bit of aluminum that didn't break that I could use a square nut behind it to give some clamping force on the outside bolt.

The three pics are from my car. The first two are after it happened this past friday, the last is from when it first happened end of September 2013

Attached Thumbnails Starter mount issue-03282014094.jpg   Starter mount issue-03282014096.jpg   Starter mount issue-img_20131001_164953.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I tried it with a new starter with that hope and it just cracked the new starter ....your options are .....replace the block, TIG weld the ear back on, or get the starter bridge .........and its a PITA to fit the truck starter in with the bridge. Also youll need to cut the remaining piece of the ear off the block in order for the bridge to fit because it takes the place of the original hole ....also if u intend to upgrade your ground now would be the time to do it since it sits on the block behind the starter :/
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xenergyx
I tried it with a new starter with that hope and it just cracked the new starter ....your options are .....replace the block, TIG weld the ear back on, or get the starter bridge .........and its a PITA to fit the truck starter in with the bridge. Also youll need to cut the remaining piece of the ear off the block in order for the bridge to fit because it takes the place of the original hole ....also if u intend to upgrade your ground now would be the time to do it since it sits on the block behind the starter :/
How long did you your starter last on the newer designed starter and was the outer bolt used at all?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Im still using my truck starter that was suggest to me off of ebay with the starter bridge so its been going strong for over a year now.....and i did as suggested use both long bolts.......if your going to use the starter bridge youll need to sawzall the rest of the broken ear off the bridge fits in the prexisting hole and its a PITA to do it while the car is on jack stands i dont care what the guy says its not as easy or as quick as you think my turn around frustration time was 8hrs maybe it was me maybe it was the bolts not lining up right itd be a cake walk if u have the motor/trans out at the same time .
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Launching!

I sure as hell hope this never happens to mine..... any thing I can do to prevent it???????
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Launching!

switch the short bolt out to a long bolt and replace your starter with a truck one I think its for an s10 it has more meat on the housing and check the torque specs and make sure their not loose ....loose and short bolt is the primary cause

Quick Reply: Starter mount issue