General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car wont Start

Turn the keys and nothing happens... battery has a full charge, terminals are tight, Starter checks out good. Starter relay fuse is good.
turn the keys on everything electrical works (fans, radio, lights)

The 'Security' light is lit up on the dash...

Anyone ideas?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Teching In

It's vats clean your key off with water and alcohol let it dry see if anything changes. if not you may need to replace the ignition(where the key geos) or bypass vats at the ignition do a search on here there's a write up about it. Key may just be dirty
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Launching!

I've read about that VATS removal.... but I dont "think" that is my problem...because the car will still start sometimes.
I went out the garage this morning, turned the key, and it started.... I was gonna try your water and alcohol cleaning, but the keys never left the ignition...day and a half it wouldn't do anything... today it just started right up... wierd

when it 'is' the VATS system going out... does the car the car start sometimes and sometimes leave you stranded... or does it never start again until you byplass/replace the VATS?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think its worth checking your battery and the battery cables. VATS is a common issue, but it is possible that:
- Your battery has full voltage but is down on cranking amps. (I'd expect at least a "click" of the starter solenoid here.)
- A battery cable is loose or corroded. (Not necessarily at the battery terminals.)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Launching!

swap the starter relay with something and recheck.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Teching In

check what the other guys said but if the security light stays lit when you try to crank and nothing work its more than likely the ignition. ive had vats do that to me on one of my cars before cleaned the key and it was fine same symptoms you describe, but the security light stays lit. if you have that going on then its likely the ignition lock cylinder. i bypasses vats on one of my other cars and nvr looked back. like the other guys said check everything fuses everything. a multimeter would help when checking relays as well. make sure the connections are good on the bcm and pcm as well because they both have to communicate so make sure the connection between the two are good.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Teching In

I have been helping Leddy with this issue. We have narrowed down the problem to the starter relay. It is not receiving the ground signal from the BCM. If we short the connectors in the relay socket the car starts and runs fine. We are leaning to a faulty BCM. Does this sound right or could it still be the VATS?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

I leaning towards a faulty BCM. My brother had this same exact issue with his 00' TA. We replaced BCM & it was fine.

I believe you can repair the BCM also. The solder points start to break. It may just need to be re-soldered.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Put in a new clutch switch and the car started right up and has continued to start with no problems since putting it in.... Security light is still lit up but for now it looks like the problem was the clutch switch.

Quick Reply: Car wont Start