General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced battery, hold down bolt just spins...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced battery, hold down bolt just spins...

Is there a captive nut in the coolant tank that the bolt goes in? Can it/has it been known to fall out?

If I buy a new coolant tank, does it come with the nut?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

You could try a speednut, perhaps the old one is stripped/or missing. My hold down is missing, but the front bracing coolant tank/battery tray is also busted, so I will definitely be going the new tank/tray route. FWIW Dorman sells the tank/tray for around 30 bucks.

speed nuts..
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the hold down thing isn't all the way down in the frame, then the battery isn't set down all the way even though it seems like it is, move it around until it drops down all the way.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 TAWS6
Is there a captive nut in the coolant tank that the bolt goes in? Can it/has it been known to fall out?

If I buy a new coolant tank, does it come with the nut?

Thanks in advance.
The coolant tank/battery tray does not come with any new nut, nor is there any captive nut in the original plastic assembly. It's just a pass-thru hole in the tray that leads to a nut in the body below. It should not fall out, but it may be stripped or you might not have the battery in all the way as mentioned in the post above.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced battery on my 99 last November, same issue, bolt wouldn't reach nut. Checked, found problem was new battery slightly larger, so the hold down would not go down far enough. Hold down has a 3 sided wedge design, as you tighten bolt, it clamps down/forward on the battery.

Hold down is double sided, ground down 3 surfaces on one half of clamp until clamp seated without putting excess pressure on battery. Too much forward pressure could break the front tray bracket. Used the stone wheel on my bench grinder.

The battery was the correct group size listed for the car, so I'm thinking each manufacturer is just a bit different size. Left the other half of clamp alone so it would work with a smaller case battery.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Battery acid ate the threads on the 1/4" nut welded under the frame rail. I ran a 5/16" tap through it and got a 5/16 x 3 inch bolt.

All done!

Quick Reply: Replaced battery, hold down bolt just spins...