General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OBD2/inspection problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2/inspection problems

Hey guys,
I need to get my car inspected by the end of may but I'm having trouble actually getting it done. I've found a shop that will pass it (can't and won't take it to jiffy lube for obvious reasons) if it will communicate with their computer. I've been there twice and here is what I'm dealing with.

On my first trip to the shop they hooked the car up to their computer and their handheld device was unresponsive...it didn't even turn on. This seemed a bit odd to me but the person using it supposedly uses it every day so I took it for what it was. I did a little research and discovered my cig. lighter fuse was blown. Replaced it, good to go right? Took it back and it was still unresponsive. No other fuses were blown, wiring seemed intact at the diagnostic port.

I looked over the car that weekend, hooked up my voltmeter to the obd2 port and got 12 volts to pin 16 and ~2.5 (i think) to pin 2 with the ignition on. Seemed good to me so I took it to autozone to see if they could pull codes...and they did. Since Autozone's scanner works, this tells ME that my obd2 port is functioning correctly.

Is there anything else that could be prohibiting it from working on their inspection computer? Maybe the guy had a bad connection the second time?

Or better yet, anyone know a shop in north raleigh, NC I can get my T/A with H/C/I and no emissions passed before the end of May?

Quick Reply: OBD2/inspection problems