General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV? Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCV? Hose

Alright, the rubber hose that goes from the top of the passenger valve cover into the throttle body is vexing me. I do not know what it is called. I do not know exactly what it is for. I do not know if there are missing components from the system as installed on my engine. There is the adapter? inserted into the valve cover. It comes out without resistance and the hose is attached to it. The other end of the hose just slides onto the top barbed pipe on the throttle body. Would someone be so kind as to illuminate me as to the name and purpose of the hose and if there is a common course of action taken in regard to it? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say a catch can is used in the line to prevent oil from entering the motor. Am I close?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the fresh air supply for the PCV system.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hose going from the pcv valve to the throttle body had a hole in it when i checked it out. I think that basically was my problem which may have been causing my check engine light to go on. bought some 3/8 inch fuel line at auto zone and used that to replace the rotten old hose. Worked perfectly
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Alright, the rubber hose that goes from the top of the passenger valve cover into the throttle body is vexing me. I do not know what it is called. I do not know exactly what it is for. I do not know if there are missing components from the system as installed on my engine. There is the adapter? inserted into the valve cover. It comes out without resistance and the hose is attached to it. The other end of the hose just slides onto the top barbed pipe on the throttle body. Would someone be so kind as to illuminate me as to the name and purpose of the hose and if there is a common course of action taken in regard to it? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say a catch can is used in the line to prevent oil from entering the motor. Am I close?
That's the WOT vacuum line. The throttle body will suck vacuum from that tube ONLY when you go WOT.

It's just a straight piece of hose, nothing else.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IneedAws6
My hose going from the pcv valve to the throttle body had a hole in it when i checked it out. I think that basically was my problem which may have been causing my check engine light to go on. bought some 3/8 inch fuel line at auto zone and used that to replace the rotten old hose. Worked perfectly

Your PCV check valve should not be in the hose that goes to the top throttle body vacuum port. It should be in the hose that connects to the vacuum port on the intake.

Quick Reply: PCV? Hose