General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mystery coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mystery coolant leak

I have a coolant leak coming from either dead center or center-passenger of the engine. It doesn't seem to leak immediately after shut down, but afterwords at some point.

Water pump was replaced approx 2 years ago. The coolant puddle on the ground is bigger than the weep hole leak before I replaced the pump.

I pressure tested the system and found leaks at the t-junction on the air bleed pipe and the radiator-to-throttlebody hose. I have replaced both hoses and the pipe and pipe seals.

When I pressurize the system cold it seems to hold pressure, though I never timed for how long. But at least there is no huge leak somewhere.

Since it only seems to leak as the engine is cooling down, and due to the location of the leak, could it be the throttle body gasket?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matto

Edit- car is 01 Trans Am.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Throttle body gasket has no coolant going thru it.

Likely cause may be failing water pump gaskets (the silicone inserts are turning to putty).
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matt'01ws6
I have a coolant leak coming from either dead center or center-passenger of the engine. It doesn't seem to leak immediately after shut down, but afterwords at some point.

Water pump was replaced approx 2 years ago. The coolant puddle on the ground is bigger than the weep hole leak before I replaced the pump.

I pressure tested the system and found leaks at the t-junction on the air bleed pipe and the radiator-to-throttlebody hose. I have replaced both hoses and the pipe and pipe seals.

When I pressurize the system cold it seems to hold pressure, though I never timed for how long. But at least there is no huge leak somewhere.

Since it only seems to leak as the engine is cooling down, and due to the location of the leak, could it be the throttle body gasket?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matto

Edit- car is 01 Trans Am.
Probably the water pump again or one of the water pump gaskets.

It appears to leak a little off center towards the passengers side because it drips onto the A/C hose or seay bar first, runs along it a little and then into the ground.

I know because mine started leaking 2 days ago.......lol Friggin thing is 15 years old.....what a champ.....lol

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wash everything off engine and park it over cardboard.

then pressurize the system and check for leaks,
it should NOT go down at any time.

Quick Reply: Mystery coolant leak