General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor vibration in OBS LSX W/ Powers AC bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor vibration in OBS LSX W/ Powers AC bracket

Hello,

I have a '95 C1500 with a 5.3L swap. I kept the R4 style compressor and mounted it via a Josh Powers bracket. Today I put on a brand new compressor, accumulator, orfice tube & oil.

Mounted it to the bracket but like the old compressor only 2 of the 3 holes match on the bracket. Tightened it all up with new rings, put the vacuum pump on for a couple hours & filled with freon. The compressor vibrates the entire truck while engaged. It's so bad you can here/feel the tailgate and tonneau cover vibrating. My stock '92 is smooth whether engaged or not. So this can't be normal. Good news it blows cold air.

It did this immediately. I've been trying to search for similar instances but haven't come across anything that good yet. The old compressor worked. It had a loose clutch so I replaced the whole compressor thinking it was bad. The old one shook the whole truck too.

I find it hard to swallow that both compressors would have exact same symptoms, especially the new one immediately after it was installed and engaged. When the compressor isn't engaged, its symptom free. The serp belt is smooth ie works fine when the clutch isn't engaged. Once activated it vibrates like a sob as well. It looks one of those sound waves from junior high science class, in its run from the compressor.

Has anyone came across this in person, on forums or have any thoughts that doesn't involve deleting the A/C as this is a must have.

Thank you,
Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad I'm going thru similar problems with the dirty dingo bracket on my 94 silverado with 6.0
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post but i have the exact same issue on my 5.3 swap. i have dirty dingo bracket. recently I used a 3/8 breaker bar to hold tension on the fixed tensioner (with the lock bolt loosened) and it seemed to eliminate the issue with the compressor engaged! I tightened the bolt and let the compressor run and all was well! until the next morning and it was dejavu. I believe the bracket is not rigid enough. I plan to modify the bracket by adding a gusset i will post pictures of what i come up with. I'm hoping this will help someone like myself. I spent 250 dollars on this bracket and am pretty disappointed with the amount of flex. I will double check my bolts and all but i believe everything is plenty tight.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor vibration in OBS LSX W/ Powers AC bracket