General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor replacement

So my a/c compressor just blew yesterday and it's just a year old, installed brand new, oem replacement... I'm looking to upgrade to a higher performance , heavier duty unit that would bolt in the stock location...$$ is not an issue , part numbers would be highly appreciated...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for an ac system it's not something you can just "upgrade" the compressor and get higher performance. the performance of the system is limited by the size of your evaporator coil in the dash where it chills the air, and to a lesser extent the size of the orifice tube or the fact that it is an orifice tube system rather an a thermostatic expansion valve.
your best bet, and only really, is to find a competent repair shop that will offer a good warranty on their work, and you're gonna pay a good penny but they will flush the system and replace all the necessary parts and properly evacuate and charge it. if things are maintained you should never have a compressor crap out, and because you've had a compressor failure and it sounds like you've had more than one, you need the system completely flushed because any debris in there will destroy a new compressor and you'll just keep replacing compressors. you're gonna probably need a new accumulator and condenser along with new compressor, possibly new pressure hoses, and i would look into getting that variable orifice tube thing which is supposed to offer a little better performance when the engine rpm's are low like at idle when stopped.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor replacement