General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Performing issues, Hypertech questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Performing issues, Hypertech questions.

Hey all I have a 98 Camaro Z28 6 spd, For a while now when I am wide open on the throttle my exhaust starts popping and the car is holding back from going to it's full potential this only happens when the throttle is all the way down.

Me and my brother have cleaned the MAF, and just today replaced the fuel filter.

So after all that it still didn't fix this issue I'm experiencing the car is hypertech tuned so we figured the guy that I bought the car from maybe set it up wrong with the tuning and we reverted it back to all of the stock settings and it helped it just a little bit but still when the throttle is wide open my exhaust starts popping and the car is holding back.

My car threw out these codes when we plugged in the Hypertech tuner, P0133, and P1416. I did a little research and came across a few threads here on LS1tech and they both are in the field of air, P0133 being the oxygen sensor circuit slow, and the other P1416 being the secondary air injection (AIR) system bank 2 response. CORRECT ME IF I HAVE FALSE INFO PLEASE.

My other plan was to maybe replace the spark plugs (I bought a set just incase that was indeed the problem) my car has 41,875 miles on it as of now.. any input would be greatly appreciated guys/girls. Thanks Joel

Last edited by J-FredZ28; 07-03-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Teching In

And also if anyone was wondering my car is not running rich at all, or burning oil etc.

ALSO no SES Light comes on while driving just when it normally should when they key is in the on position before starting the car up.

Last edited by J-FredZ28; 07-03-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it totally stock? no headers or anything?

I would clear the codes, make sure the SES light bulb illuminates while in accessory (to be sure previous owner didn't pull the bulb out) and see if the p0133 shows up again. You can watch if it's switching correctly on the hypertech and try swapping the driver front with driver rear o2 sensor before you buy a new one.

and just out of curiosity, how do you know that it's not running rich/lean at high rpm without a wideband or pulling plugs?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 AM
Teching In

The car has bolt ons, 3" exhaust, low res. cat, long tube headers, when I said not running rich I based that on idling, you do have a point though.

The SES light does turn on when I put the keys in the ignition before I start it and turns off normally like it should when I'm ready to drive, I put the tuning back to stock and cleared the codes on the hypertech when it brought up P1416, and P0133

So I'm kind of at a halt of what to do, it's frustrating I want to enjoy my car at its full potential when I desire should I go pull the plugs, examine and determine if infact they do need changing? It's just a little odd to me being that the car has 41k miles and a plug change is ideal around 90k I'm not a mechanic I'm learning as I go on day by day from my older brother what are your guys thoughts?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the o2 code hasn't come back? it may take some miles, if you can figure out how to do a live view of the data coming through on the hypertech observe how the o2 bank 1 and bank 2 are reading, they'll jump back and forth between a high and low number (switching)

since the car is modded, some factory suggestions go out the window. for instance if someone installed those longtubes and did some really crappy tuning or an o2 died and let it run really rich the plugs could very well be in bad shape well before 90k

Quick Reply: Performing issues, Hypertech questions.