General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Good quality head lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good quality head lamps

Where can I get them? I dont want to spend $500 on factory OEM ones, but want the stock look. I bought aftermarket ones a while back but they fit like **** and the rubber came off.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

clean yours its cheap and easy.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Where can I get them? I dont want to spend $500 on factory OEM ones, but want the stock look. I bought aftermarket ones a while back but they fit like **** and the rubber came off.
Just an FYI. The "factory OEM" ones are no longer any good either. Back in December of '11, I ordered a brand new set from a local GM dealer. I used the same part numbers that were issued for the originals (16525313 and 16525314). What arrived were headlight modules manufactured by Depo (marked as such on the back housing), same as the cheap reproductions sold everywhere online, only difference was that the lens was stamped with a GM logo and part number (right where the others are stamped with "Depo"). They fit poorly compared to the assembly line originals, and I too noticed the issues with the rubber gasket. These are made in taiwan vs. the originals that are stamped as made in USA.

Several years prior to this, I had ordered new OEM headlights through the dealer and received modules that were identicle to the originals and still made in USA. I'm not sure when GM made the switch, but they are charging a fortune for junk aftermarket headlights that you can buy online for a fraction of the price.

If you want originals at this point, you'll need to find nice used ones or just restore your originals.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be way cool if somebody was able to (say)
water-jet-cut some glass to fit the shell. I wonder
if a local glass shop would be able to wet-saw to an
outline (water jet CNC being rare and expensive, no
doubt).

You'd maybe look a little odd with flat face headlights,
maybe, but at least they'd never yellow out.

Once way back when, I made a frame and had a glass
place slump some plate into it in a kiln (replacing a
china cabinet door that got busted). Do that and then
cut to match the shell, and you'd have a forever kind
of fix.

I also think of just fabbing brackets to co back to
LT1 style individual replaceable lamps. That might be
a bit homely but maybe a matching bezel (6LE?) could
make it look kinda not-ghetto.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yellowing lenses seems to be a huge problem with all modern headlights that are consistantly exposed to UV rays. Only ones that seem to hold up to daily use for many years are those that are shrouded from the worst of UV exposure by hood/fender/grill design overhangs.

In the earlier days of headlight modules, the lenses were in fact made of glass, similar to the old sealed beam replaceable headlights. I've owned a few late '80s and early '90s cars like that. I guess the OEMs moved away from glass due to weight and impact breakage, but none of mine ever broke. I'd rather take my chances with (possibile) breakage over (definite eventual) yellowing.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had these $200 OEM China headlights on mines I got off of Amazon, I believe they were made by a company called TYC, you should look into them, they fit really good. The rubber was a little thicker than stock but other than that they fit exactly like my old ones. You honestly couldn't really tell that they weren't OEM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM

I would just buy a 3rd party one. I think the oem ones look alright, but I always prefer something different. There are a lot of amazon and ebay. Make sure you read the reviews and that is is compatible with your model.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i dont have the originals anymore. I have the chinese ones that are yellow now and fit like **** anyway lol Ill look up TYC
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yellowing lenses seems to be a huge problem with all modern headlights that are consistantly exposed to UV rays.
This is where the Firebird owners show up and proclaim that pop-up headlights are the wave of the future.

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Yeah i dont have the originals anymore. I have the chinese ones that are yellow now and fit like **** anyway lol Ill look up TYC
If you can find a decent pair from a salvage yard that aren't yellow, you can polish them. I used a 3M kit to polish my rear lenses after getting scraped all to hell by a teenager with a learner's permit and they look better than new.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is where the Firebird owners show up and proclaim that pop-up headlights are the wave of the future.
But then you have headlight gears/motors to replace. Seems that the only 4th gens that are free from any sort of headlight issue are the sealed beam fixed headlights of the '93-'97 Camaro.

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you can find a decent pair from a salvage yard that aren't yellow, you can polish them. I used a 3M kit to polish my rear lenses after getting scraped all to hell by a teenager with a learner's permit and they look better than new.
If I have to wet sand my originals again, which is looks like I might, then I'll probably spray them with some clear coat this time.

Quick Reply: Good quality head lamps