General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help After Theft

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help After Theft

Hi, my '00 SS was stolen Saturday afternoon, and recovered Sunday morning. I'm not sure what the thief did to the car because: the window/lock switch wont work, interior lights won't come on, and the stereo will not turn on either, although if I press the CD release it will pop them out. I need help Identifying what they took from Under the passenger side dash please, Pick:

and is this steering column salvageable, or will I need another one?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't gotten the car to turn on because the switch was broken. I pulled the little aluminum thing with teeth on it forward, and the dash lights come on, but the car wont turn on. There's another connector next to the bug rectangular one on the picture, but it's just not visible. O'Reilly has this Dorman product: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...gnition+switch but will it need more then just that?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the missing piece from under the dash is the BCM; that would explain why the windows, lights, and stereo are not working. The BCM also enables the start sequence once it sees the correct value from the VATs key, it looks like your thief knows his way around F-bodies. Was he able to drive off in the car or was it towed?

At the very least you will need to repair the column and replace the BCM. After someone tried to steal my third gen camaro, I sent the column out to be repaired, it did not cost that much and it was returned to me quicker than it would have taken me just to get parts.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

The thief did drive it off, and I'm guessing he was going to come back for it and didn't want anybody else to take it, so he took the bcm. Would that mean body control module? Do I have to get a bcm from the same year car?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

I had to tow it home.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can have the column rebuilt but it will be so much effort to get a new outer collar on there that it may be easiest to go with a used one.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I went ahead and bought another column. I got a pretty good deal for it, along with the steering wheel and the air bag. Thanks you very much for the help.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Was the car insured? Getting the new BCM to match up to the VATS and programmed to the new air bag serial number is a bit of work.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Just an update on the status of the car. I bought a used BCM from ebay that I thought I could use because I got the VIN#, but it turns out that I couldn't get the key number from that VIN. I contacted the seller, a magnificent guy by the way, and he had another BCM off of a 2000 Camaro, with key and everything, and he shipped it out today without any hassles. If anybody is looking for Camaro, Corvette, Firebird, etc... parts on ebay lookout for seller WILLYKS75. Great people to deal with, and great customer service that go above and beyond to help people out.

Quick Reply: Help After Theft