General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Really weird high idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really weird high idle problem

So im still chasing down issues with this 98 ws6 i purchased. You all have been a great help in diagnosing the issues. For some reason the aftermarket stereo wasnt playing. Would turn on, but wouldnt play. Turns out he hacked the factory plug off and wired them to subs in the back. Anyway i hooked everything back up to this new deck I had. Started up the car shortly after, and the rpms shot up to about 2500 rpms and stayed there. Had to take the car to work so I headed out. All the way to work, I could feel like the car was on cruise control even though it wasnt. I could push in the clutch and the revs would shoot up. Is there a posibility I accidentally messed something up? Or is it just a coincidence that this happened? Not sure where to check first
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have the subs in the car? If so is the sub power wire run through the firewall grommet under the cpu or around it that grommet? When I did my sub, I went around that grommet and it eventually made the throttle position wire rub bare and short out on the firewall and would idle around the 2500rpms like your car is doing. I'd check that bunch of wires and see if it rubbed bare. If so you will have to tape up the wire and maybe put some shrink wrap on it. That is all I did and it has fixed my problem for 3 years now. Hope that helps you some.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure on wiring exactly....I unhooked it from the battery and taped it up. Going to remove it all when I get a day off. But I unhooked my negative terminal from my battery when I got the the hospital (work), and went out just a minute ago on my break and hooked it back up and started the car. Idled normal? Im stumped
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. If you unhooked the sub it still may effect the throttle body position wire depending on how the sub power wire goes through your firewall. I wish I had pictures but I never took any when I fixed my problem. My car would idle fine then after hitting a big bump the throttle body wire would hit the firewall then idle high. Almost everytime I shut the car off for 10 minutes the next time I started it the car would idle fine. I would say check that throttle position wire still when you get a chance. Hope I'm helping you in some way.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Something electrical is making the IAC open up.......the wiring set up you have for the stereo is obviously causing it. Probably freaking the PCM out.....

The IAC is the only thing that can cause rpm's to shoot up like that....all of a sudden.

Quick Reply: Really weird high idle problem