General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cleaning LS6 intake before putting it on

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning LS6 intake before putting it on

Hey guys, I just picked up a used ls6 intake of an 02 trans am yesterday. I'll be installing these with my TSP longtubes, which are on back order till late July according to speed inc.

So, on inspecting my intake, the runners are caked up with some oil crud. I did a couple searches on how to clean them and started with some simple green and warm water. That worked a little bit with some rubbing with a towel. However there is some more cake up where I cant reach. Other threads said brake cleaner and or throttle body cleaner. I'm a little hesitant to use those on a plastic intake. What do you think? Think its even worth to clean it since oil will just build up again?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

that plastic is tough.......use gas if you must
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Use a long screwdriver, or bent metal coat hanger to reach it and break it loose, then blast it out with either a garden hose nozzle or better yet take it to a quarter machine car wash and blast it out with high pressure soapy water.
IMO, I wouldn't use brake clean, but spray can carb cleaner is safe to use.

Yes, it worth it to clean it out good!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I soaked mine recently in a tub with a few gallons of undiluted purple power degreaser along with the valve covers and coil brackets. Let it sit overnight and wash it off in the tub and dry it out.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xFormulax
Hey guys, I just picked up a used ls6 intake of an 02 trans am yesterday. I'll be installing these with my TSP longtubes, which are on back order till late July according to speed inc.

So, on inspecting my intake, the runners are caked up with some oil crud. I did a couple searches on how to clean them and started with some simple green and warm water. That worked a little bit with some rubbing with a towel. However there is some more cake up where I cant reach. Other threads said brake cleaner and or throttle body cleaner. I'm a little hesitant to use those on a plastic intake. What do you think? Think its even worth to clean it since oil will just build up again?
Best way to clean the runners 100% is to go buy a toilet bowl brush that has a flexible handle that is long enough to go through the entire runner.

Take the intake and completely submerge it into some kind of tub or bucket....use 75% Formula 88 from Home Depot and 25% water. Let it sit over night. Then with the brush the next day go to work while its still in the tub of degreaser. Clean the runners and inside the intake.

Then rinse the hell out of it with water....should be good as brand new after that.

Make sure it's a good toilet bowl brush that doesn't shed its bristles....you don't want them left behind in there.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Got it pretty clean today by letting it sit in a tub of purple power and then hitting it with a brush every once and awhile.

Quick Reply: Cleaning LS6 intake before putting it on