General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do you know your heater core is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know your heater core is bad?

I have seen some threads about people with bad heater cores, but I'm not to sure what the tell tell signs of a bad one is. I'm loosing fluid however mine is on the driver side and after driving for a while and shut it off I can hear it hissing as if its loosing pressure. It is back by the firewall no wet carpet or anything like that. Ill have it on a lift Friday but thought I would get some opinions from you guys first
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hook up a coolant pressure tester while the car is off and pump it up to 15-16 psi or so. If the heater core is leaking into the car, you'll have wet carpet and when mine went on my Z I couldnt drive it for more than 20 minutes without the entire interior fogging up.

Plus the heater core is on the passenger side of the dash.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok well mine shouldn't be a heater core I guess when I get it up on the lift ill find out what could be back there leaking
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

The hissing sound might be a bad a/c line. As far as the losing fluid.....are you actually losing antifreeze or are you just dripping on that side of the car?

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 08-02-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Because I can't speil worth shit.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea.....if its just clear water it's the A/C dripping onto the ground.

An A/C shop had my car a couple weeks ago and saw a puddle under my car and called me to tell me they had to replace my heater core. I asked if it was dark orange or clear. They said clear. I told then do not change it just do the work I told you to do it not the heater core. It was just the A\C dripping down a line all the way over to the passengers floorboard area under the car. You think an A/C shop would figure that out....lol

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yea.....if its just clear water it's the A/C dripping onto the ground.

An A/C shop had my car a couple weeks ago and saw a puddle under my car and called me to tell me they had to replace my heater core. I asked if it was dark orange or clear. They said clear. I told then do not change it just do the work I told you to do it not the heater core. It was just the A\C dripping down a line all the way over to the passengers floorboard area under the car. You think an A/C shop would figure that out....lol

Ya mines dripping on the driver side sorry about the confusion And my ac has been deleted ill know when I get off work ill have it on a lift and get to the bottom of it
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad28
Ya mines dripping on the driver side sorry about the confusion And my ac has been deleted ill know when I get off work ill have it on a lift and get to the bottom of it
Are your heater hoses still hooked up.....?

Maybe it's one of those that are leaking onto the ground.

.......or did you mean it's dripping inside the passengers side front floor carpet.?

If you don't need heat and your heater core is leaking, or one of those heater hoses is leaking......just leave it all there and put the Dayco "U" hose on the water pump and you're all set.

Quick Reply: How do you know your heater core is bad?