General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

not happy, A/C went out due to shop mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default not happy, A/C went out due to shop mistake

so i'm not happy at ALL right now.

i just picked my car up last friday from having the engine rebuilt, and yesterday morning when i drove to work, the A/C was working fine. when i went to lunch, however....nothing.

checked the fuse, it was good, the belt is brand new. the compressor wasn't even kicking on at all, which is usually an indication of low coolant.

so i took it to another shop here in town (the shop that did the work is 1.5 hours away, and it is not feasible at this time to take it back there), and had them look at it.

apparently when my engine was reinstalled, they didn't route/tie up one of the A/C hoses properly, and it was resting up against the pulley to the water pump...which, as you have probably guessed, rubbed a hole in the hose and let out all the coolant.

yesterday was 103°F, with a heat index of 108°F....NOT FUN with no A/C.....

not gonna name any names until the situation has played itself out, but i really hope they make this right, after all the money i just dropped with them to work on my car.....
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your misfortune. Exactly why I HATE taking my car to any shop for any reason. Most places just want to get the job done as quickly as possible and will inevitably screw up something. Good luck getting it all straightened out.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you get a new accumulator along with a new hose.
don't let them just throw a new hose on then evac and charge the system because the ac may work on the drive home but in couple months or not too distant future you'll have problems then they'll tell you to gfy. also get them to give you a warranty on the ac repair and state any future problems are likely to be caused from this and contamination in the system, or have them pay a licensed ac shop for the repairs where that shop will warranty their work and do it right. depending which hose wore through you'll want to pull things apart and check for hose debris in the system. if the suction line wore then you don't want hose pieces in your compressor which is where they'll first go. and if it's in the high pressure line you'll want to pull the orifice tube out and look for pieces there if they made it through the condenser. hopefully hose pieces don't clog the condenser which means you would need to replace that also. if down the road you can't get the ac to work and no one can figure out why then chances are you have a clogged condenser. any good ac shop is going to pull most everything apart, flush, put a new accumulator in and maybe o-tube if its screen was dirty, then put in all new oil while charging. otherwise your taking your chances with how long the system will last not knowing if it's contaminated.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't take it back to the shop who had the accidental screw up chances are you are SOL. They more than likely would have fixed it no problem had you taken it back to them for verification and repair. BUT, since you took it to another shop for repair they will tell you to **** up a tree if you ask them for monetary compensation. I sure as hell would if it happened at my shop.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

i actually called the original shop, and they are telling me that the only way they'll cover it is if i take it back to them to do the repair...which really sucks because now i have to take off 1/2 a day of work instead of just a couple hours to get the work done, since just to get there it's 1.5 hours....and that's 1.5 hours with no A/C and 100°F+ temperatures.....

i understand why they want to do it, and i am going to take it back to them, but i am NOT happy about it in the least.

which hose it is that runs off the top of the silver canister (i'm assuming that's the condenser?) and routes in front of the engine, between the engine & the radiator? (see the hose coming off the right side of the silver canister on the left of the pic below)
Attached Thumbnails not happy, A/C went out due to shop mistake-silver_canister.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the suction hose coming off the compressor up to the accumulator. Yup you are correct that's a real pisser the way gm routed it. I've made that very same mistake and gm puts a single zip tie to prevent it all when the cars are built. The part that bites is when it's routed it looks like there is room but throw the motor movement and vibration in and it will munch that hose every time.

Wasn't trying to sound like a ***** earlier it bites it's a incovenience but give them a chance most good shops will happily take care of something like that especially on a large jobs they just completed. Mistakes happen lord knows over the years I've had a few wtf moments myself.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax man. **** happens. At least the shop said they'd cover it. You're obviously not a wrench, am I right?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Relax man. **** happens. At least the shop said they'd cover it. You're obviously not a wrench, am I right?
yeah, trust me, i know **** happens...it has for the past 37+ years, and undoubtedly will continue to happen as life goes on.

i'm not pissed that the A/C hose got FUBAR because of an honest mistake...believe me, i've made my fair share of those myself...

i'm more annoyed by the fact that i had to use 5 hours of my vacation time at work & over 1/2 a tank of gas to get it back there for them to fix it, when i could have just used 2 hours of time off & had a local shop do the repairs & confirm with them that it was a mistake on the original shop's end so i could get it fixed sooner. and the shop didn't so much as offer an apology, they were just like "thanks for letting us to fix it for you"...dunno if that's just their weird way of apologizing or what.

to top it off, they didn't even have their office area air conditioned, so i was sitting there for 3 hours in the heat too, while they fixed it.

i just get REALLY unhappy when i get too hot, and heat indexes of 108°F definitely qualify....

they did get it fixed, so i'm good to go now, i just don't think that i should have had to suffer through 3 days of 108°F heat index (PLUS 40% - 50% humidity) when i could have had it fixed the next day if the first shop had just paid for the repairs.

Quick Reply: not happy, A/C went out due to shop mistake