General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tach not working on every other startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach not working on every other startup

Well I've had this issue for some time. When first starting the car (01 camaro with ls3 with 5k miles) the tach is not responsive. It usually starts working after I back out my drive way. It instantly jumps to around 2k. Also moinitoring my PCM it has correct rpms while tach isn't working.

Yesterday it took a lot longer for the tach to work. Could my cam sensor be failing? I'm not throwing any codes. Also I did switch the wires a and c on the extension harness for the cam sensor during the build. I have about 5k miles on this build, it put down good numbers but seems to idle funny (sound) sometimes. I'm not sure if the overlap of the cam is causing this (21 degrees) or its related to the tach. I'm also confident that its not a tuning issue. Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just threw a code a few weeks ago for low voltage on my cam sensor, and my tach acts up on startup also. I will be replacing the sensor this weekend. Must be that time of the hear for cam sensors going out.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar issue when i did my engine swap. ended up being the cam sensor connector not fully connected. Might be worth reaching back there and seeing if it is not fully clicked in.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Launching!

I'm gonna check all connections and replace sensor. The problem is progressing, it took about a mile to jump to 2k today. Hopefully this is it. Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you reach this sensor and connect it fully w/o removing the intake? I'm beginning to wonder if mine is not fully connected as it has a low voltage reading, I have a brand new one already waiting to be put in though.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I can on my car, reach behind the intake is where the extension plugs into (knock sensors and cam sensor). You may have a short causing the low voltage
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know how you guys can reach that w/o removing the manifold, I went through hell and back today, I literally took it all out, replaced the Camshaft position sensor, but somehow broke the oil pressure sensor in the process, I think this happened when I was removing connections in the back etc... replaced that, put everything back together, only to realize the brake booster hose somehow came off or wasn't' fully on when I was seating the manifold in place with those 4 back bolts, **** COWL, I still have no car until hopefully tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also If I do have a short, where would be the best place to start, I suck with stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Tach not working on every other startup