General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random power disappearance

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Random power disappearance

This morning I went out, started up my car (02 Z28, lid and frost tune), let the temperature needle move to the lowest mark, and eased out of the parking lot. Going down the road, I drove casually through 3rd gear, shifted to 4th, gave it gas, and nothing. Then all of a sudden about one second later, the power came back and continued down the road. This occasionally happens on my way to work at varying times of being warmed up. The car has new 02s, recent plug change, no SES light, and a cleaned MAF sensor. I would unplug the MAF sensor to drive home, but how long is adequate time to run with the MAF unplugged if not tuned for SD? I have searched and found similar problems speaking of TPS sensors and MAF sensor. I did a TPS reset last week and nothing changed, I am inclined to think it's the MAF sensor. Before I got the car there was a K&N air filter on the car, and the MAF was insanely dirty. I cleaned it, but I have read that sometimes even cleaning the MAF can't save it. I am thinking TPS or MAF. I know I can unplug the MAF and drive to kind of eliminate that variable, but I am unsure on how to test the health of the TPS. Thanks for your input.

-J
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Quick update. Unplugged the MAF for the drive home. Car had been sitting for almost 10hrs. Quick warmup, pulled out onto the road to drive home, and no difference. Still got the odd hesitation. What's odd is that it doesn't occur when the car is warmed. So now I guess I should look at the TSP? The car runs just fine otherwise, besides the occasional droopy idle. I cleaned the **** out of the IAC but I'm not sure if cleaning helps much, and if its shot its shot. Thanks

-J
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Problem seemingly solved. Turns out the car had just a drop in flowmaster and stock exhaust. Got a frost tune and told him I had a lid and exhaust (lid was ordered). Car ran ok but after the fuel and air trims adjusted it almost seemed to run worse. Unplugged the battery last weekend to reset everything as I was doing something else, and since plugging back in was better. Got a used 3" exhaust and put that on today and almost immediately the car seems to be running better. No part throttle hesitation, and its hard to explain but everything that seemed to be running poorly is better. I guess for now it's fixed...

-J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random power disappearance