General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 ls1 cranks no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ls1 cranks no start

Ok guys I need some advice. I have a 01 camaro ls1 6 spd. the issue I'm having is it will crank but will not start. I have tested and changed the crank and cam sensor as well as plugs and wires, fuses and relays are new also. I've also tested for injector pulse etc and ran injector test with a tech 2 all sensors are reading normal ,fuel pump and pressure is normal as well. I have checked and changed just about everything even the entire charging system battery cables. I have gotten it started for a few seconds but that's it I believe it may be a vats issue. Because its only spark that I'm losing. I changed the PCM out to see if anything would change still the same thing. Also vats is bypassed at the ignition with a resistor. I'm thinking about getting vats tuned out or getting a bypass module if you guys think this will help plz let me know what you think. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevyboy454010
Ok guys I need some advice. I have a 01 camaro ls1 6 spd. the issue I'm having is it will crank but will not start. I have tested and changed the crank and cam sensor as well as plugs and wires, fuses and relays are new also. I've also tested for injector pulse etc and ran injector test with a tech 2 all sensors are reading normal ,fuel pump and pressure is normal as well. I have checked and changed just about everything even the entire charging system battery cables. I have gotten it started for a few seconds but that's it I believe it may be a vats issue. Because its only spark that I'm losing. I changed the PCM out to see if anything would change still the same thing. Also vats is bypassed at the ignition with a resistor. I'm thinking about getting vats tuned out or getting a bypass module if you guys think this will help plz let me know what you think. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
Wow, lots of parts you have replaced. TRY swapping your ignition relay with the A/C compressor relay. Seen that quite a few times with these aging cars....

Also, your VATS will disable the starter so if it is cranking, it shouldn't be VATS related.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I've tried swapping the relays. I had my father in laws shop look at it. They're not really familiar with these cars. They just told me its losing spark posibbly from the ignition side. That's why I'm wondering if vats is messed up or if its something else ignition related like I said we got it going before but it shuts off after a few seconds.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chevyboy454010
I've tried swapping the relays. I had my father in laws shop look at it. They're not really familiar with these cars. They just told me its losing spark posibbly from the ignition side. That's why I'm wondering if vats is messed up or if its something else ignition related like I said we got it going before but it shuts off after a few seconds.
Could be your ignition switch cutting out.

Have you checked the critical grounds on the back of the driver's side head?

If you can't pinpoint it, you might want to take it to the Dealer or at least LSx shop that is familiar with these cars.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

That's what I'm thinking it is as well ill check it out and update. All of the grounds are snug and and clean I changed the knock sensor harness not long ago.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Ok so I switched out the ignition switch the part that's on the lower part of the steering column not the lock cyl. Still nothing I decided to check the voltage at the crank harness again to make sure the cam and crank coils etc were getting proper voltage. The crank sensor harness voltage was below 2 volts so do I possible have a short in the harness or would Something else cause this. all the other sensors have proper voltage.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, here are the pinouts for a 99, but I"m assuming it is the same for 01:

Sensor connector pinouts:
A - yellow to PCM C1 44 outut signal to PCM from sensor
B - yellow/black to PCM C2 22 low reference (ground)
C - light green from PCM - 12 volt signal - PCM C2 62

I would check what reading you are getting from the PCM on the light green wire. Normally this points to a bad PCM but you already replaced that. Maybe try looking for the PCM ground?

The other possibility is you have a broken/damaged reluctor wheel on the crankshaft...that would not be fun but has happened.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And I'm assumed you scanned for codes? Are you getting one for the crank sensor?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Be sure to check ALL the fuses, there are 2 for the injectors.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a situation that was the same as yours. If it's VATS, it won't crank, so I doubt that's it.

I ran all the tests I could think of. I checked fuel pressure, crank position sensor readings, etc. My problem was the ignition relay. My car randomly started shutting off sitting at a light. With the new relay, I haven't had any problems since. Just give it a new one a shot. They are cheap.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Ill buy another and see if that deos the trick.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Default cranks but no start

I am having the same exact problem , except I have a 01 3.8 automatic . I pulled the engine and replaced rods and mains put it back together and it cranks but no start . I replaced the cps , the control module under the coil packs,plugs,wires,checked fuses and relays, checked grounds and even added one from frame to casting the module is mounted on.I am getting the signal from cps to the module and the injectors but no spark at the wires , 3 coils cant go bad at the same time can they?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
And I'm assumed you scanned for codes? Are you getting one for the crank sensor?
I am told that the crank sensor DTC will not always set when you have a bad crank position sensor, but who knows for sure??

Quick Reply: 01 ls1 cranks no start