General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this normal?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is this normal?

Never experienced this on any other car so don't know if I should worry about it. But whenever I start up my car, the gas gauge will read about a 1/16 of a tank lower than when I parked it the night before (no puddles under car). The needle doesn't move much but enough to notice. After I start driving it, the needle would either stay the same or sometimes go back up a little.

Now just the other day I changed my rear diff oil and while doing that, I would get a small smell of gasoline while working under the car; not overpowering but enough to tell it's gas. Do I have a small gas leak somewhere or is this normal for F-Bodies?

BTW I get about 17 MPG doing almost all city.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The gauge reading is normal, the smell is not. I'd investigate as these are sealed fuel systems. 1st place to check is the cap, maybe its damaged etc.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my gas gauge does the same thing...

as far as the leaking issue, id check the lines coming from the pump on the top of the tank... but you would have to drop it..... or cut a trap door
Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
The gauge reading is normal, the smell is not. I'd investigate as these are sealed fuel systems. 1st place to check is the cap, maybe its damaged etc.
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
my gas gauge does the same thing...

as far as the leaking issue, id check the lines coming from the pump on the top of the tank... but you would have to drop it..... or cut a trap door
Alright glad my gas gauge is working "properly" haha. Again the gas smell is very VERY small. I had to smell my glove after I touched some grease or oil that was sitting near the diff to get any smell.

Note, I did change the fuel filter about a month ago and am sure I got some gas on my hands when I replaced it. Will gas smell lurk around for that long? All visible lines look dry and secure.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you sure its not exhaust smell? My car smells like exhaust all the time near it when im working on it, but I have no cats.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
are you sure its not exhaust smell? My car smells like exhaust all the time near it when im working on it, but I have no cats.
May be, I have cats though.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have no cats

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this normal?