General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Axle into differential rattle? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle into differential rattle? Anyone?

So I put in a new axle in the passenger side of my 01 Camaro, an axle made by Dorman. It rattles on every single little bump in the road, a clunking sound comes from it and when I put my hand over that hump between the two rear seats and I feel the vibration on every clunking sound coming from there.

Mechanics said everything was fine when they installed it. They said if it's not locked in by the C-clips in there, it would fall out. Now we are sure that its the axle clunking because they put it on those plates that go side by side under the wheels and that's where the clunking sound is coming from, a little to the right from the center of the differential.

Now on a sidenote, I also put in a new axle in the driver's side, one made by Powertorque and everything is fine there, as quiet as can be.

Does anyone have any experience with these things and know what could be the problem? It's a very annoying noise.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the axle end play on both sides and compare them. Should be less than .125 anything higher and its going to be noisy. The C clips should have been replaced with the new axle, If it wasn't replaced it may be worn. This will cause excessive axle end play and noise.

Quick Reply: Axle into differential rattle? Anyone?