General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

steering column slop not caused by loose bolts?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering column slop not caused by loose bolts?

I went in to take care of the common steering slop that we all know and love. i had about an 1/8in of play going down to the 8 o'clock position. I thought it would be the typical disassemble loctite and reassembly but as I was taking it apart i could tell that someone had been in there before. when I got to the inverse torx bolts I found that they had been replaced with hex heads and seemed tight. I took all of them out and put some loctite on them. when I got it all back together the same amount of play is still in it.

has anyone had any experience with something else causing a small amount of play in the wheel. the only thing that I noticed a little strange was that the drivers side pin went in a little easy. thinking about just pulling a column out of a junk yard and swapping them... the column currently in the car has seen 200k miles
Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C/R -

You may want to look at your rag joint at a possible source for this 'play'.

I replaced my car's stock / seemingly tight rag joint with a solid unit from "Overbalanced Engineering" (I believe that's the name of the company) and, after the replacement, I was amazed by the change.

The 'slop' / 'play' was 100% removed.

This may be your car's issue as well.

Just a thought...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the company called UNbalanced Engineering (the same ones who make the best damn road race torque arm on the planet for these cars)??
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chevroletrocket
I went in to take care of the common steering slop that we all know and love. i had about an 1/8in of play going down to the 8 o'clock position. I thought it would be the typical disassemble loctite and reassembly but as I was taking it apart i could tell that someone had been in there before. when I got to the inverse torx bolts I found that they had been replaced with hex heads and seemed tight. I took all of them out and put some loctite on them. when I got it all back together the same amount of play is still in it.

has anyone had any experience with something else causing a small amount of play in the wheel. the only thing that I noticed a little strange was that the drivers side pin went in a little easy. thinking about just pulling a column out of a junk yard and swapping them... the column currently in the car has seen 200k miles
LoL I got the same problem on my 00' WS-6 and at the same 8 o'clock position let me know when you get a fix,thanks .
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default UNbalanced Engineering ???

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Is the company called UNbalanced Engineering (the same ones who make the best damn road race torque arm on the planet for these cars)??
Yes.

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Not the steering shaft, tons of posts on this on this board.

The collars that the tilt pins go into go bad, the tilt pins elongate the holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering column slop not caused by loose bolts?