General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Want to get my a/c running again

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to get my a/c running again

My a/c system isn't blowing cold. I had the system evacuated a couple years back and it was opened up for a while. I ran a vacuum for a bit, then rebadged it and it ran fine for a season. Right now it isn't cooling the air much.

Do I really need to get a new drier and condenser and vacuum it, or should I just try to refill it again?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put the gauges on it and see where your pressures are at. If they're low vac it down and charge it and put some dye in it. If you put dye in it last time then just put on some glasses and grab a black light and find where the leak is. Whenever you open the system up you should replace the drier. Condenser doesn't need to be replaced unless it's leaking.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a car AC system is one of those things where there is almost no benefit of the owner doing the work of evacuating and charging himself because to do it properly the tools and needed supplies will cost more than it would to pay a shop to do it. you need a good vacuum pump to pull a deep enough vacuum, that is the most common thing people don't do. the only thing an owner should do is top off a good system that has always worked and has never been opened up but only has a small leak and needs less than a can of r134a. Once the AC system is opened up or has lost pressure and air has contaminated the system you need good equipment to do the job right, otherwise you're wasting your time and will be doing it all over again.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs down I bought the tools, you can too!

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
My a/c system isn't blowing cold. I had the system evacuated a couple years back and it was opened up for a while. I ran a vacuum for a bit, then rebadged it and it ran fine for a season. Right now it isn't cooling the air much.

Do I really need to get a new drier and condenser and vacuum it, or should I just try to refill it again?
The drier is indeed quite important.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
a car AC system is one of those things where there is almost no benefit of the owner doing the work of evacuating and charging himself because to do it properly the tools and needed supplies will cost more than it would to pay a shop to do it. you need a good vacuum pump to pull a deep enough vacuum, that is the most common thing people don't do. the only thing an owner should do is top off a good system that has always worked and has never been opened up but only has a small leak and needs less than a can of r134a. Once the AC system is opened up or has lost pressure and air has contaminated the system you need good equipment to do the job right, otherwise you're wasting your time and will be doing it all over again.
OP -

"1 FMF" is right, the tools (i.e. - a good quality A/C Manifold Set and a Vacuum Pump) can be expensive, however, once you have these two items, you never have to pay someone else to 'service' any of your vehicles' A/C systems again.

So, if you replace the drier (remember to use Teflon tape on the threads and new seals lubricated with PAG oil!) and you then evacuate the system for a 15 minutes, and the system then holds that vacuum for 30 minutes (via the gauges on your Manifold set!), then your A/C system can be recharged.

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Put some gauges on it and see what the low side and hi side pressures are. This will tell you whats going on with your system. Youtube has several videos showing how to do this and how to diagnose it. You can get some decent manifold gauges and a vacuum pump from Harbor freight fairly cheap if you search for their promo codes and discounts that they run all the time. Gauges for as low as 49.99 with the discounts they run. the pump is more but they usually have all kinds of discounts you can use to buy one. You may just be a little low on freon if the compressor is pumping correctly. I just changed out my compressor, accumulator with hose built on, orifice tube flushed the system and installed new orings and gaskets where I broke the system loose. Put the right amount of PAG oil in the system and pulled a vacuum for 45 minutes. Let it hold for 30 minutes and she held without leaks. Charged correct amount of Freon and got ice cold AC again. This was on a 2002 SS Camaro. Advanced autoparts had the best prices for the compressor etc because they always have all kinds of promo code coupons online that they do not support if you buy directly at the store. You can buy online and get free shipping to your house with a coupon or if you spend a certain amount of $ usually or you can order online with coupons and go pick up the parts at the local store if they have them in stock. Your choice. They had a rebuilt compressor for $249.99 or a new one for $299.99 but they offered a $50.00 off coupon/promo code so I got the new one at the rebuilt price. Accumulator was $79.99 but with another coupon got $23.00 off it. Bought all the parts to do the job for less than $350.00. Shops will charge you $600.00 to $900.00 or more to do that job so even factoring in buying the manifold gauges and pump that you can use for years in the future you come out way ahead. I did have one problem after bolting it all on and pulling a vacuum the schrader valve in the low side port on the accumulator was leaking like a bitch so I had to take it back off and exchange it at the parts store which they did with no problem at all at the local store. PITA to redo but sometimes stuff is defective . The second one didnt leak and all was well after replacing it and pulling vacuum for second time. Auto parts stores charge $15.00 to $18.00 for a can of 134a freon. You can buy it at BigLots for $8.00 a can and Sams and wally world usually sell it cheaper than autoparts stores. Gonna need 3 cans for our cars. uses 28 ounces I think plus some oil. Cans are 12 ounces each. Hope this helps for some do it yourselfers and you can save some money.

Last edited by Footlead; 05-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Launching!

FYI You may be lucky and she is just low on freon because they all usually leak some out over time and a charge of freon may get her back to cooling. The gauges will tell you this.

Quick Reply: Want to get my a/c running again