General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Diagnosing Spark Plug

Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnosing Spark Plug

Hello all!

I was hoping you might be able to confirm that I'm reading my spark plugs correctly before I talk to my tuner regarding my assumption that I'm running too rich.

From the drivers side:

Cylinders 1 and 3

From Passenger side:

Cylinder 2

My gas mileage is well absolute **** lol hovering around 10mpg or so... I need to recalculate after my next fill up.

Made great power on the Dyno but if it's running rich like this (according to another spark plug diagnosing site, rich at mid range to WOT, but idle is good) would I still be losing a little power throughout the RPMs?

These are NGK TR6 plugs and my engine mods are:

Trickflow 220cc heads milled to 61cc
EPS 226/234
Ported FAST 92 w/ NW 92 TB
Kooks 1 7/8 headers into kooks true duals

To make matters more inconvenient, at the time of the dyno I had a leaking valve cover gasket on the passenger side (figured it out after), torn holes on stock bellows on the underside facing the water pump, and couple exhaust leaks off the headers connecting to the rest of the exhaust (now fixed) and probably a couple more leaks through out the exhaust. I've replaced the bellows, fixed the exhaust leaks closest to the O2 sensors, and replaced the valve cover gasket, and will fix the remaining exhaust leaks over the Winter since I don't believe those will affect gas mileage all that much ... correct me if Im' wrong.

I want to get all this sorted out before I start throwing more **** on my car and watch the mileage get even worse and if a re-tune is necessary see if he could a do an adjustment if I added a GM 85mm MAF 9 (not installed) and FTP 92mm lid (haven't ordered).

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Gary
Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would check to see how the 02 sensors are switching. With an OBDII scanner while the engine is running at operating temp. If they are failing you will NOT necessarily get a code or SES light......but your gas mileage will be terrible.......

Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a pair of those aeroforce interceptor gauges and sensors appear to be switching from 80mv to 8xxmv

I'll go out there and check them again

I know it doesn't always matter but they were recently replaced last March or April and they're the Bosch corvette long ones 133111 whatever that number was.

Last edited by PewterFormula02; 09-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterFormula02
I've got a pair of those aeroforce interceptor gauges and sensors appear to be switching from 80mv to 8xxmv

I'll go out there and check them again

I know it doesn't always matter but they were recently replaced last March or April and they're the Bosch corvette long ones 133111 whatever that number was.
Bosch sensors will NOT operate in my car....as in the engine will barely run. With your LTs you should use Denso 02 sensors, they handle more heat than the Bosch sensors do. And LTs get HOT......
If you have extensions......2344025 Denso. They are 16" long. $37.00 each at rockauto.com

Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Here are a couple videos of the switching at idle:

And one with my RPMs holding at 1100 or 1500 rpm and then back to idle

looks like o2 sensor on bank 2 is switching low.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Bosch sensors will NOT operate in my car....as in the engine will barely run. With your LTs you should use Denso 02 sensors, they handle more heat than the Bosch sensors do. And LTs get HOT......
If you have extensions......2344025 Denso. They are 16" long. $37.00 each at rockauto.com

Do you have the number for the denso ones that are long enough to use without extensions? Is it this one: DENSO Part # 2344617

edit: according to the cross reference thats the one, looks like I'll be ordering a couple

Last edited by PewterFormula02; 09-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterFormula02
Do you have the number for the denso ones that are long enough to use without extensions? Is it this one: DENSO Part # 2344617

edit: according to the cross reference thats the one, looks like I'll be ordering a couple
I think that's the one....44" long.

But I would call rockauto.com and ask them to verify if its the right threads and 4 prong plug.

I had a slow switching 02 sensor once and my fuel gauge moved like a windshield wiper towards the E......lol
Gas mileage was worse then what you are reporting.......

Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Just swapped in the denso sensors and so far the car in general feels better. What shocked me most was how smooth the idle is upon startup and the switching seems to be fluctuating much faster. It's too wet out to see how it really feels in the upper rpm range but like I said earlier in general it's driving much better.

Now it's time to start watching my gas mileage.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnosing Spark Plug