General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Regarding engine swap techniques

Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding engine swap techniques

Hello,

I am looking for advice removing the v8 engine from my 99 TA. Haynes recommends dropping the engine and transmission, but I do not have a lift. Would I be able to reasonably use an engine hoist to pick up the front of the vehicle and slide the engine & transmission on a dolley out from underneath? I have a jack and jackstands available too. The scope of this project is to replace the (bad) motor with a junkyard 5.3 LM7.

I am following this guide for dismantling, and am thinking it is right for me with the exception of the lift they use: http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56

Just wondering how the rest of you may have done for your engine swaps, I'd appreciate any advice, or informing on what worked or didn't work for you. Or if you have relevant build logs- I'd love to check them out.

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine and lots of others do them out the bottom without a lift.

You want to get the rear-end up; most do it with a set of ramps; then you can use either an engine hoist with some extra weight on the back of it; or a roof mounted chain hoist to lift the front of the car high enough to slide out the k-member/engine/trans/front suspension assembly.

I used my Strut-tower-brace with 2 bolts on either side to lift the car with (as an attachment point for the engine hoist)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend came over by himself, all I did was help him a little bit. He had my engine on a dolly in about 2.5 hours. I was amazed. I just rented an engine hoist for $25.00 for the day. Lifted the front end up to roll the engine out from under the car.
Cake walk......

Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Take a look at the stickies in this section. This is covered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regarding engine swap techniques