General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking Coolant and cant find out where..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Coolant and cant find out where..

I just bought a 2001 Camaro SS tick performance cam 227/235. 3.73 gears. Fast 92mm intake and big mouth TB. 5.3 milld and Mild heads. On the way back i went WOT just for a quick 4th-5th spurt then bout 20 miles later i noticed temp climbing. I then pulled over checked under the hood and under the car and couldnt see anything dripping or wet. I checked the oil and it was nice and clean and so i dont think its a blown head gasket. I think it could be my coolant crossover plugs on the back of the engine. Or maybe a intake manifold gasket. Any body else have the same problem and know whats the fastest and cheapest way to fix? I joined just to post the question so any help would be great!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tool you need is a coolant pressure tester. The big 3 tool companies have very high quality ones for around 200, but I'm sure one can be had from Harbor freight (Astro makes em) for much less. Its a pump that goes on the filler neck of the radiator and pressurizes the coolant system with the car off. Then you can check for leaks and watch the pressure tester gauge to see if the pressure drops. If all is good there, then I would move on to looking at a possible thermostat or water pump impellar, or if the car heats up when sitting still, then testing the cooling fan motors.

Also, no coolant runs through an LS1 intake.

Last edited by BRUTL; 10-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you checked coolant level? Could be a stuck thermostat also.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant and cant find out where..