General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Has anyone ever replaced a hood release cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever replaced a hood release cable?

A long time ago the body shop I left my car at broke the handle off (long story).

I managed to find a Camaro at the yard with the mechanism intact, and removing it was one of the biggest pains in the *** ever. What gave me trouble is the rubber grommet that plugs into the firewall, I ended up hacking on it with a box cutter and pulling on it as hard as I could until it finally snaked through.

Now I have to remove my broken one, and install that one

Any easier way to go about this, or maybe I'm missing something? Really not looking forward to it

Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is starting to fray near the underhood release. I've looked at it a few times and just cringed when thinking about replacing it. lol
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Mine is starting to fray near the underhood release. I've looked at it a few times and just cringed when thinking about replacing it. lol
It really sucks, the one I removed with my buddy off a 30th anniversary Camaro at the yard was terrible. It took less than an hour, but it up a huge fight and I had to hack it with a knife.

Maybe someone will be able to chime in before I get to it, I already had enough fun replacing the outer window sweeps off of that same Camaro today lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine is broken as well. I just use whats left, only the handle part is broken in the car.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever replaced a hood release cable?