General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Abs inop

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Abs inop

Had this light coming on and off for a long time. A couple years ago I replaced the FR hub and it went away for a few months (though that fixed it) but then came back. A couple months ago I had a friend hook it up to a GM Tech II to see what was going on and apparently it was the ABS module, which I then replaced. Now, the light is back on. I don't have access to a GM Tech II, but am unsure how to best proceed in getting this finally narrowed down the actual culprit so that I can replace it.

Any ingenious ideas from anyone?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Had this light coming on and off for a long time. A couple years ago I replaced the FR hub and it went away for a few months (though that fixed it) but then came back. A couple months ago I had a friend hook it up to a GM Tech II to see what was going on and apparently it was the ABS module, which I then replaced. Now, the light is back on. I don't have access to a GM Tech II, but am unsure how to best proceed in getting this finally narrowed down the actual culprit so that I can replace it.

Any ingenious ideas from anyone?
my abs inop and tcs off lights have been on since i got my car and i finally had it scanned with a tech 2 and it showed front left hub. there was nothing wrong with the hub when i took it out to inspect it?? i hear if your abs module is bad you wont be able to read it at all. did you buy a used abs module? also my abs doesn't work at all, i can lock the tires up. i also sometimes get an abs-like flutter in the pedal when stopping. im stumped to and i hope someone knowledgeable replies and i hope this helps
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I found someone to scan it for me and it's throwing another code for the FR hub, which was the one I originally replaced with a used hub from another vehicle. I did replace the ABS module with a used one as well.

When my light isn't on, I usually get the flutter and then the light comes on as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ive only received the light under hard braking in the rain and then once after a massive doughnut.

I think you shoulda bought a new ABS module instead of used. im not sure it if wouldve made a difference but who knows.

How do your rotors look?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace hub with new one imo. And check wiring of the ABS module, mine used to come on and off and I found a bad wire.

But replace the hub with a new one IMO. If that doesnt fix it, return it.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't visually inspected the rotors closely. New OEM hubs are expensive. I'd rather go with a used replacement, if possible. The car doesn't get much mileage put on it, so a used one shouldn't be an issue in terms of longevity.

Quick Reply: Abs inop