General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced battery, possible alternator replacement, anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced battery, possible alternator replacement, anything else?

So Tuesday morning I go out to go to work and the car wouldn't start. Ended up being a bad battery (had it tested at the local parts store). Put a new battery in and that lasted a day. Today (being thursday) same thing happened. So im thinking its the altenator (but ill have that tested also just to make sure) since I havent changed it in about 4 years. Is there anything else that I should check out so Im not stranded again? This is my one and only car so I need fo get this fixed and do it right this time around.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Test the alternator before thinking about anything else. If its not putting out any power it could be a bad/broken exciter wire or a bad voltage regulator.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You should have a volt gauge on your dash, correct? Jump the car and see where the gauge is. - it will either be around 14 volts or way lower. The car will run on low volts once its started btw. Or just throw a voltmeter on it while its running.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Im actually going to try to pull the alternator at the local parts store before buying one. Im thinking its that, because it is a reman`d unit and its been a little over 4 years since i replaced it. Is it possible thta when i had the first battery that died on me, killed my alternator since it was working over time to recharge the battery?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem. If I let my car sit for over a day, the battery would be dead. For me it was the exciter wire being all corroded. It was so bad that when i flicked it, it broke in two. I just went to a local parts store and got a copper battery hole-crimp thingy (cant think of what its called ATM.) and crimped it to the exciter wire (after I cut the crappy stuff off) and it works fine 150 miles later.

In case you don't know what the exciter wire is, its the one that runs from the back of your alt (It is for me, yours might be a little bit different) to the positive battery terminal. Hope it works out for ya!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

now that my car is 14 years old who makes the best battery cable replacement? my old GTO had trouble starting & it turned out to be the cables. thx cheers!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
In case you don't know what the exciter wire is, its the one that runs from the back of your alt (It is for me, yours might be a little bit different) to the positive battery terminal. Hope it works out for ya!
The large gauge wire running from the back of the alternator is the charge wire.

The exciter/field wire is a small gauge wire with a weatherpack connector (on the top of the alternator case for the LS1s) that runs to the PCM. It provides initial current from the battery, via the PCM, to begin the charging process.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-GM-LS1-Alternator-Harness-Plug-Pigtail-for-Camaro-Trans-Am-1216214-/271246173643?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f278825cb&vxp=mtr
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

I knew I should have looked on ebay/etc. before ordering the GM packaged one for almost 3x the price of that one (with shipping/tax) from the local dealer.

Hopefully, what I end up with in that GM package will be that one, since I want Delphi parts over all else OEM.

Last edited by dailydriver; 11-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I knew I should have looked on ebay/etc. before ordering the GM packaged one for almost 3x the price of that one (with shipping/tax) from the local dealer.

Hopefully, what I end up with in that GM package is that one, since I want Delphi parts over all else OEM.
Yup....eBay and amazon have almost everything for our cars......at least all the little strange things we never think of.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

These things seem to fry so damned easily that I went ahead and ordered that one as a backup.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are aware you can take your vehicle to your local Advance auto and they will test your charging system for free. Helps troubleshooting better then throwing parts at it.

Best battery cable replacement is through AC Delco.
ACDelco 4SD54X Professional Battery Cable : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 4SD54X Professional Battery Cable : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

These things seem to fry so damned easily that I went ahead and ordered that one as a backup.
I've never seen one get fried. Usually the issue is that people aren't careful during alternator removal and they end up yanking it out of the connector. They can also get damaged from yanking on other wires that are part of the same bunch futher up on the harness.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've never seen one get fried. Usually the issue is that people aren't careful during alternator removal and they end up yanking it out of the connector. They can also get damaged from yanking on other wires that are part of the same bunch futher up on the harness.
Agreed, but mine was so corroded, and slightly burnt enough that it was hanging on by ONE copper strand, and THEN when I was trying to get the connector out of the alternator, that last strand broke.

I would have had to replace it anyway, and if I did not find it now, it would have ended up killing a brand new Die hard Platinum (Odyssey) I plan on installing this winter.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by N20zuki
You are aware you can take your vehicle to your local Advance auto and they will test your charging system for free. Helps troubleshooting better then throwing parts at it.
IF this was directed at me (sorry if it was not);

That is a little difficult to do when the nearest AA, AZ, or Pep Boyzz is almost 20 miles away, and the car is in your driveway and will not start/move.

I am NOT going to waste a AAA tow just to get it there, and then have to tow it back (which they WILL NOT do anyway).
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

IF this was directed at me (sorry if it was not);

That is a little difficult to do when the nearest AA, AZ, or Pep Boyzz is almost 20 miles away, and the car is in your driveway and will not start/move.

I am NOT going to waste a AAA tow just to get it there, and then have to tow it back (which they WILL NOT do anyway).
It was directed to the OP....

Its a parts store so towing it would be stupid, they can help diagnose, not fix it. But since you have to go to the parts store for a alternator or battery anyway why not jump start it and drive it up if that's the case, or you have this problem every few days as the OP stated its not hard to stop in and shed some light at the situation.

(FYI I live 24 miles out of town, I have never had the issue you stated)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N20zuki
It was directed to the OP....

Its a parts store so towing it would be stupid, they can help diagnose, not fix it. But since you have to go to the parts store for a alternator or battery anyway why not jump start it and drive it up if that's the case, or you have this problem every few days as the OP stated its not hard to stop in and shed some light at the situation.

(FYI I live 24 miles out of town, I have never had the issue you stated)
A jump will just get the thing started....and the battery will die rather fast. If he charged the battery TOTALLY full it still wouldn't get him 20 miles on just battery power, let alone the 20 miles back.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
A jump will just get the thing started....and the battery will die rather fast. If he charged the battery TOTALLY full it still wouldn't get him 20 miles on just battery power, let alone the 20 miles back.

Yea I understand... If the battery is dead the alternator will keep the engine running though... BUT this isn't the OP saying he lives 20miles away, its this other guy. To each there own.

The OP also said it lasts a few days, Again its enough time to diagnose the car by taking it to a auto parts store.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Well i did figure it out and i gotta say, im pretty damn stupid on this one. Im guessing since i installed the new battery at night with only the security light on my parents house giving me less than adequate lighting, i must have put the terminal pole in slightly crooked which was giving me a bad connection. After getting the alternator tested and reinstalled, putting on a new belt (needed it anyways) and putting on brand new battery terminal bolts with dielectric grease, everything is back to normal. I guess it was me that was the problem. Never rush a job, even if its simple like this. SMH But needless to say, lesson learned. I appreciate all the helpful hints and tips from everyone though!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

What is the new battery, an AAP or AZ deal, or something else?

Quick Reply: Replaced battery, possible alternator replacement, anything else?