General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Idle

Really Stuck here.

So my wife comes out from work(this is here car) and the car will turn over then dies. So I have it towed home. After doing a little research I figure it has to be two things. Either the fuel filter or the fuel pump. I go ahead and change the fuel filter and replace the fuses and I recharged the battery(she killed it). The car has a rough start then starts up and idle's beautifully. I take it out open it up and I can tell it has a lot more power than it did prior. Have no problems. I park it let it sit about an hour. I go out and try to start it again. It starts nice then after putting the vehicle in reverse, the car starts to shake sputter and die. I try to turn the vehicle over, and it continues to start then die immediately. I can get it to idle pressing on the gas, but if I let it off it dies, and if I try to shift gears it dies. I can shift it then press the gas and it will go, but it continues to sputter and shake and will only move slightly. I don't think its the pump because I ran it up and down the highway easily without any problems. Anyone have any ideas.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When I changed my fuel filter it would Idle weird, sometimes at a light it would die on my or bog down to 300 RPMS before I would have to give it some gas or it would die. After a day or two the idle settled down like the fuel filter was finally fully saturated and allowed gas to flow correctly. Im not saying thats what happened with mine but thats the only thing I could think of was something about the filter getting rid of all the air in the line or something along those lines. How long has it been since changing the filter?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM

I went out and tried it again and it started right up. I drove around the parking lot a little and it idled great. Then I took one more lap and it died. Tried to start it up again, no luck without pushing the throttle. I am going to try to clean the MAF tom and Ill try it again in the morning. But I really don't think its the FP because it ran around the parking lot without missing a beat. Unless the FP continues to go in and out randomly. It seems like the warmer it gets the harder time it has.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM

I changed the filter earlier, and right after it started up with no problems after a quick rough start. So maybe 5 hours.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine took like two days, about 30 miles before I stopped getting weird issues. Only other thing I could suggest is priming the pump, then popping the bleeder value on the fuel rack over again and try to get air out the line. If that don't get the idle back hopefully someone else can help. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Well now it tries to turn over but won't start. I can hear the pump coming on and if I let it sit an hour or so it will turn over, but not for long. I can def. smell fuel. I have no idea what this could be. Ill try it 2 more days but I am afraid there is more of a problem than just the FP.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

We just had another poster change a fuel filter and they had to drive it at speed for a while so the PCM would run the relearn sequence.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Updates still confused.

Well I went out this morning and it started right up. Ran great, idled great. Let it sit about 15 mins in neutral. Then I drove it around the parking lot a bit and it shuts off. I start it right up again and it shuts off. I can keep it running by pressing the peddle, but even after about 10 mins of that it will continue to stall our and eventually will not turn back over. Any ideas? How can I reset the PCM if I can't keep it running long enough for the computer to do so.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

unplug the battery for 30 mins. That will reset the comp.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ That should make it better and get you to a point where the car won't shut down. You'll still need to run the re-learn procedure (I recall driving the car for a time over 35 mph accomplishes this) before the engine will run smoothly.

Quick Reply: Idle