General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump install

Hey guys I'm getting ready to replace my fuel pump on my 98 Trans Am and I was wondering if you hve to remove the rear end to drop the tank? Also, any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the trap door mod. Might be an alternate solution.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I've seen the trap door method but cutting my car up just isn't something I can bring myself to do haha
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I definitely would go with the trap door method if you don't have a lift. Some people don't mind dropping the tank on the ground, but that's not for me. GM should have put an access panel there. I look at it as correcting a factory mistake.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

TRAP DOOR !!! I did it on mine without hesitation. Couple years later while traveling in Florida(from Ohio),the pump started to go. I knew It wasn't gonna make it back to the motel. Had a spare with me, took 15 minutes to change it out off I75.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You do not have to drop the rear end to change a fuel pump. I did mine in about an hour and a half. I had the car on a lift using air tools when I did it. If you were going to do it on jack stands without air tools it would probably add another hour to the process. You do not need to cut a hole in your car either. The only people who recommend doing that are the ones who were dumb enough to cut a hole in their car. All this BS gets started on the internet by people who lack the mechanical skills to do the repair correctly. Do not believe it. Swapping fuel pumps is not a big deal.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The only people who recommend doing that are the ones who were dumb enough to cut a hole in their car.
People cut holes, enlarge holes, and modify areas of the chassis and body for all kinds of reasons. All of these things can be dumb OR purposeful depending on individual perspective.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm going to drop the tank though. Slt200mph what all did you have to remove to get the tank out? It looks like the panhard bars are in the way?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeChump
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm going to drop the tank though. Slt200mph what all did you have to remove to get the tank out? It looks like the panhard bars are in the way?
Your right the panhard bar needs to come out. You need to unlatch the spout where the fuel goes through the fender into the tank too. If you look at it and take your time you will see that it is not that complicated. You may have to soder and splice the wires to the pump. I had to do mine but it was not hard to do. You want to have some help lowering the tank. Especially if you have a lot of fuel in it.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
People cut holes, enlarge holes, and modify areas of the chassis and body for all kinds of reasons. All of these things can be dumb OR purposeful depending on individual perspective.
As with anything there is a correct way to do it and a incorrect way. Like I said it only took one and half hours of time to do it. After hot rodding for over 50 years swapping a fuel pump on a 4th gen F body was pretty EZ. I worked at a Chevy dealer for 11 years. Believe me there were no holes being cut in any F body cars to swap a fuel pump. Nuff said.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

As with anything there is a correct way to do it and a incorrect way. Like I said it only took one and half hours of time to do it. After hot rodding for over 50 years swapping a fuel pump on a 4th gen F body was pretty EZ. I worked at a Chevy dealer for 11 years. Believe me there were no holes being cut in any F body cars to swap a fuel pump. Nuff said.
A fuel pump can be correctly replaced via an access panel just the same as it can by dropping the tank.

A Chevy dealer would never drill a hole in a trans pan to install a drain plug either, but that doesn't necessarliy make it an incorrect thing to do.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I helped a friend drop the tank on his ta to swap the fuel pump and it took us like one and a half hours. But when its time for my fuel pump, I'm just gonna cut it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I always cut a hole in all my fbodies. Most all other cars made have access panel for the fuel pump. Nothing wrong with doing it if its done properly.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Are the filler tube and gas tank a solid unit on 98s or does the tube come off?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

One of the main reasons I agree with you on this Helms/factory/dealer way of doing this job is that one can then FLUSH the tank OUT COMPLETELY, thereby helping insure the life/logevity of the new pump assembly you just installed, and paid MUCH COIN for. (The lowest price I've seen for a new Delphi is on Amazon, at ~$275.00 shipped, ALL others, even China made crap, is more, even on Rock Auto. )
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trap door method worked well for me. Very handy with a wrench but don't have a lift so I cut it. Also, I just couldn't imagine having some little thing go wrong or not work right and have to drop the exhaust and tank twice!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump install