General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Pinion Bearing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Pinion Bearing!

Finally found out what the noise is in my diff... A friend of mine told me it would be cheaper to buy a used diff then replace the pinion bearing since it's being takin to a shop is this true or should I just replace the pinion bearing?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

It's not something you can really do yourself unless you have tools and a fair level of mechanical experience, so most shops charge decent for it.

It depends on what you can find a used diff for, but in the end you don't know the condition of the used rear, whereas if you have yours rebuilt, it will be like new inside. It still might end costing about the same anyway and you will have a better finished product. I'd say rebuild.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
It's not something you can really do yourself unless you have tools and a fair level of mechanical experience, so most shops charge decent for it.

It depends on what you can find a used diff for, but in the end you don't know the condition of the used rear, whereas if you have yours rebuilt, it will be like new inside. It still might end costing about the same anyway and you will have a better finished product. I'd say rebuild.

I get that about knowing the condition I have this guy fried of the family he found a used diff for 350 told me he would install an everything for 200 total of 550 I know I'm taking a risk but the dealership or regular transmission shop I know will be right around 1k this sucks lol
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1000 for a rear end rebuild?! Maybe if you put in all new gears, but just bearings and seals shouldn't be that much. My pinion bearing has been whining since I got the car 2 years ago and I've been told that there are very few of these that don't whine once they get a few miles on. It bothers me a bit that it whines, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I let it ride...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that seems excessive. I'd have to check the labor time at work, but i'd imagine we could do it for a lot less than that at a normal retail shop. I showed one of the other master techs how to rebuild the diff in his truck, but we don't usually do heavy line work for customers. Firestone auto center BTW. I've done a couple HG jobs and clutches but they don't care for it.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bigbee
$1000 for a rear end rebuild?! Maybe if you put in all new gears, but just bearings and seals shouldn't be that much. My pinion bearing has been whining since I got the car 2 years ago and I've been told that there are very few of these that don't whine once they get a few miles on. It bothers me a bit that it whines, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I let it ride...

I tried to drive it like that as well but my in embarrassing loud when ppl ride in the car with me they thinks it's going to fly of the wheels lol especially cursing down a street about 20 to 30 mph it sound like you ran over a crying animal
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Launching!

A pinion bearing shouldnt cost much to replace. You don't even have to reshim your pinion to set depth or anything. Go through the normal gymnastics of removing the driveshaft, axles (only pull them far enough to get the carrier out), and carrier. Use an impact wrench and a big pair of channel lock pliers to hold the yoke and remove the nut. Remove the bearings and races and install the new ones. Stick everything back in and check backlash. If you dont have pliers big enough, loosen the nut before you pull the axles and carrier by applying the parking brake and use a big ratchet or impact wrench to loosen it. Then take the carrier out. All in all, I would say for a shop to do it, no more than 2 hours labor time since they have the right tools and facilities to do it. Would probably be less than that. And the bearings are cheap. Overall it should be cheaper to have it fixed rather than buying a different rear. Plus you will know what you have. Where are you located Cj? I'm sure if some of the members on here live close, they wouldn't mind helping you with it. If I live close I will help you. If you go this route, you can get the Ratech deluxe gear install kit from ws6store for $108.95 and rebuild the entire rear end. Add on a few quarts of gear oil and a case of beer for the guy helping you and you will be golden. If you are reusing the same carrier and gearset, then you shouldnt have to reset backlash or pinion depth and just use the current shim setup. Would just be a bearing swap.

Quick Reply: Bad Pinion Bearing!