General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter Issues 02 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues 02 Trans Am

I've been browsing the forums recently trying to find anyone that has maybe had a similiar problem and have not found any prior posts. I have a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am that recently quit starting. When I turn the key, the radio stops, certain indicator lights go away (standard) yet the car won't start. The headlights, when I have them on, don't dim when I try to start the car. I've replaced the ignition switch, clutch/starter switch, and out of frustration the starter while cleaning all of the connections for the starter. Has anyone else had any issues similiar to this? I'm willing to try a couple last things before I call the tow truck and have it taken to the dealer. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LT1 had a (seemingly) similar issue pertaining to the VATS. Turned key and nothing. Zero. No noises, dimming lights, anything. I can't remember if it was in fact the ignition switch that fixed it, but I remember my Security light was on and I thought WTF that's new...

Do you have another key you can try? Sounds ridiculous but you never know...

Subscribed for future reference.

-J
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is also an 02 and has this exact problem. I can just keep bumping the key and eventually something gets connection and starts.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you checked all those things, I thought I'd just bring up the neutral sensor. I have no idea what this part looks like or where it is, but I've got a '99 manual and if I depress the clutch pedal all the way and turn the key, dash lights will go out but nothing with the starter. I've gotta keep the pedal a couple inches off the floor and then it will turn, and it was suggested to me by a mechanic that it could be this sensor. Now I don't know if automatics have this same sensor, but going by fundamentals, I would wager that they do. Of course, if changing this sensor requires procedures that you can't perform on your own, then you might as well just take it to a shop to have it looked at...

Oh yeah, don't forget the starter relay and/or fuse. Your manual has a diagram to help you identify its location. Good luck.

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 12-23-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesse.kasper07
I've been browsing the forums recently trying to find anyone that has maybe had a similiar problem and have not found any prior posts. I have a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am that recently quit starting. When I turn the key, the radio stops, certain indicator lights go away (standard) yet the car won't start. The headlights, when I have them on, don't dim when I try to start the car. I've replaced the ignition switch, clutch/starter switch, and out of frustration the starter while cleaning all of the connections for the starter. Has anyone else had any issues similiar to this? I'm willing to try a couple last things before I call the tow truck and have it taken to the dealer. Thanks for your help.
Most likely Security issue (VATS). I'm assuming the Security light is flashing when the car won't start? Check and report back.

Quick Reply: Starter Issues 02 Trans Am