General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Camaro SS bouncing oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS bouncing oil pressure gauge

Stock car with an oil pressure gauge that bounces when off the throttle and car completely idles. Notice oil pressure rises with rpm like normal then below 10mph it goes hay wire. I've heard this is a common problem any tips before I start investigating tomorrow?

http://youtu.be/n6kseHxYgZY
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Banned

Yea my oil pressure gauge seems to have a mind of its own I was told dont worry about it. If you find out a reason as to why yours is doing it please do tell. Mine goes down while on throttle then goes up when off the throttle or visa versa cant remember i dont watch it as much after i was told dont worry about it lol
Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's common for this to happen when the Oil Pressure sensor goes. BTW: It's a real pain to replace. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ding-unit.html
Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ yep mine is doing this and i am letting it do it, PIA to change.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

I consider taking off the intake a ROYAL PIA, but most of you on here (NOT in this particular thread, but on this site/forum) talk like it is something you do every other week, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind your backs, in your sleep, in a half hour or less.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I consider taking off the intake a ROYAL PIA, but most of you on here (NOT in this particular thread, but on this site/forum) talk like it is something you do every other week, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind your backs, in your sleep, in a half hour or less.
Well you don't have to take the intake off to do this. The catch is that you need to reach under the cowl and behind the intake to switch the thing out. You can only do it with one hand, you can't see your work. So, I guess that's a lot like being blindfolded, with one hand???
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

lol I agree there is no way people are doing this under 30 minutes its highly improbable that can happen. to tight of a place, cant see what your doing, only being able to do it with one hand, the list goes on. Also even with 2 people taking off the intake is at least a 30 minute job IMO just do to the clearances a lone. you really don't have enough space, I mean you and the other person has to lift up the back 2 bolts high enough to pull it out but not too high because they will get stuck under the cowl. So going with a bigger intake like a 102mm Fast LSx i can see it taking forever to put that in.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

So is it really a sensor or does the pump need replacing? Maybe a resprung ported pump?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIRECHICKEN5.3
So is it really a sensor or does the pump need replacing? Maybe a resprung ported pump?
The bouncing gauge is the sensor. A constant reading of low pressure would be the pump.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
Well you don't have to take the intake off to do this. The catch is that you need to reach under the cowl and behind the intake to switch the thing out. You can only do it with one hand, you can't see your work. So, I guess that's a lot like being blindfolded, with one hand???
These owners must have baby girl hands then, as I've tried that with the cam position sensor AND the oil pressure switch, and I could not get anywhere NEAR far enough (or deep enough) back there to even feel the pigtails/connectors for these, let alone actually get to the bolt and get the socket over the switch/sensor.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

get the sensor socket from the parts store its really not that hard you dont have to pull the intake.for the opsu anyway cam sensor yeah gota pull the intake for that
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
These owners must have baby girl hands then, as I've tried that with the cam position sensor AND the oil pressure switch, and I could not get anywhere NEAR far enough (or deep enough) back there to even feel the pigtails/connectors for these, let alone actually get to the bolt and get the socket over the switch/sensor.
I had to make a special tool with a coat hanger wire to hook the electrical connector (looking through mirrors) to catch the latch and pull the connector off. From there, I could get the sensor socket on.

Last edited by wssix99; 12-18-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS bouncing oil pressure gauge