General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Fuel Pump, cold start problem... will start on second crank only

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel Pump, cold start problem... will start on second crank only

I have been through the original fuel pump on my 99 5.7 TA, and now on my third Delphi fuel pump (just installed by mechanic) Ever since the first time it was replaced the car has had issue starting when left sitting for more than maybe 10-20 minutes. You can crank it til infinity on the first crank and it will never start, but then on the second crank it always starts up right away. This doesn't happen if you turn it off and then turn the car right back on. It has new plugs, wires, fuel pump, mass air sensor, fuel filter. I asked the the mechanic if it was the check valve and he said no, he said the mass air sensor should have taken care of the cold start and it didn't. It has done this on all three of the new Delphi pumps that have been put in. Also, he just changed my brakes to wagner and replaced a seized caliper, yet the brakes feel more spongy than ever. He said they bled them and that no matter what on these cars the pedal will go down about 20% of the way before it starts to catch. What should I do or check? Just spend 1600 with all of this done and the front Monroe struts / differential fluid change, and I would really like the car to run right... Im taking it back up to him now just thought if anyone could help I would appreciate it a lot!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Teching In

anyone have any idea??
Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Swapped the fan and IGN / starter relays, still does it. Not a relay.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Intermittent crank position sensor (they do not always throw codes) maybe??

BTW; the Delphi pump I just installed (after the factory original went 165K miles), is PERFECT.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

1st thing to check is if it has constant fuel pressure at the rail on the 1st crank when it doesn't start. This will absolutely tell you if its the fuel pump or fuel circuitry. If it has constant fuel pressure ITS NOT THE FUEL PUMP, time to look at other things.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Its had this problem since pump 2/4 was installed. Pump 4 just installed today and same problem as the last three. It was strange, I had AZ pull my codes even though my check engine light wasn't on and the code P1626 came up, it wasn't triggering my check engine light but it was stored. Could the ignition switch cause this? That's what the autozone paper says. I just don't see how three separate pumps and three separate mechanics would miss this or install it wrong when I asked each one why it still did this after sitting.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Also like stated this has been happening since pump 2/4 was installed. It wasn't holding pressure after shutting the car off, that mechanic said the check valve in the pump was bad... yet the two Delphi pumps my mechanics put in after that still has the same problem. I cant think all three had bad check valves what else could cause this?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Did they replace the whole fuel pump assembly, or open up the factory canister and replace the fuel pump itself?

Sounds exactly like a problem I had with my grand prix. I put in a racetronix fuel pump, they don't come with the whole assembly which means I had to open up the canister and replace the fuel pump itself.

Sometimes the corrugated line isn't sealed properly to the top of the canister. If that's the case, when you shut the car off and let it sit, the fuel pressure will bleed out slowly. The longer you let it sit, the more it bleeds out, and the harder the first start will be. How long it takes to bleed out depends on how big the leak is.

Try this, prime the fuel pump a few times before you start it, and see if that makes starting easier. Just turn the ignition on for about 5 seconds, then shut it off. Repeat this 3-4 times. Then when in the off position, go and immediately start it. Don't turn the ignition on for a few seconds and then start it. The goal is to start it while the pump is still priming.

If it starts easier then normal then it sounds like a pressure holding problem.

Chris,

Last edited by ChrisSingh90; 12-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

4th fuel pump and brakes now feel spongy after they were swapped. If this is all from the same mechanic get a new one ASAP.

I'm with everyone else. Hook up a fuel pressure guage and see what reads at the first prime. It should be very close to 60psi and should stay there for a few minutes. The fact you have to prime the fuel pump twice means pressure is not correct.

Quick Reply: New Fuel Pump, cold start problem... will start on second crank only