General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Too long to start, rough idle

Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too long to start, rough idle

I just bought this car a couple of months back, the prior owner seems to have taken really good care of it meaning he changed plugs, wires, coil, opti, clutch gaskets and seals the car has trouble starting. It will start somehow im confident in it starting since it always does but for the first time starting it after a couple of days sitting it takes 12-15 cranks for it to start.

Then when i turn it off and then on it takes less and then less to get it to start meaning it starts up quicker. I did this video so if someone asks how it sounds like and what the battery level is or oil pressure gauge is they can see it in the vid. The idle is a bit low as well. Now when i drive the car normally or go WOT it picks up RPM's quick and feel that there is absolutely no power drop off at all.

It pulls hard and really good. I dont here any ticks or weird noises at all coming from the motor. Im gonna have my mechanic look at it tomorow if its getting good Fuel Pressure at start up and while its running. The battery seems to be fine although before buying it, it did sit alot the guy didnt drive it all the time. Thanks for the help

The car was already started and driven a few minutes before taking the vid so the car started up faster then usual. Also i was turning on the A/C and moving the windows up and down in the vid as well so youll hear wind noise thats just from the A/C blowing. Also before i get any fuel level comments this problem is there wether i have a full tank or not.

Last edited by karpetcm; 01-03-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you clean the MAF....?

Maybe a really dirty fuel filter?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The old MAF did that and after i cleaned it, as we speak it has a brand new MAF. I honestly havent checked the fuel filter but i will have the mechanic do that tomorow for sure since its soo cheap to replace.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice your alternator is not charging? I don't think that is related but you should probably check it with a volt meter to verify.

I would definitely check fuel pressure but also the fuel pressure regulator. That will make it crank long and run rough for a few seconds until the engine burns the excess fuel...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Notice your alternator is not charging? I don't think that is related but you should probably check it with a volt meter to verify.

I would definitely check fuel pressure but also the fuel pressure regulator. That will make it crank long and run rough for a few seconds until the engine burns the excess fuel...
I noticed the gauge is low and to my understand i thought once the car is on the needle should be a little bit past the half way point. Im gonna have him check the voltage and see how the alternator is doing and AFPR as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Cycle the key on and off about 5 times. Then try to start. If it starts fairly quick I'd check the fuel delivery as previously posted.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blowerman
Cycle the key on and off about 5 times. Then try to start. If it starts fairly quick I'd check the fuel delivery as previously posted.
Ill try that and see what happens and get back on it, thank you
Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i did the cycling the key, it helped a tad but what really does the trick is. If i turn on the car and turn it off and then immediately turn it back on and off it will get much better. Meaning it will take half the time for it to turn on.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by karpetcm
ok i did the cycling the key, it helped a tad but what really does the trick is. If i turn on the car and turn it off and then immediately turn it back on and off it will get much better. Meaning it will take half the time for it to turn on.
When it starts. Does it ever black smoke?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blowerman
When it starts. Does it ever black smoke?
That i haven't checked but ill do that tomorow and see what happens for sure. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The battery CCA is 450 and we checked voltage to alternator and he says its not stable the voltage it will drop off as well after car starts.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also the voltmeter on the battery reads 12.49 and then drops to 12. He said it has nothing to do with the long starts you have because even when he charged the battery and also jumped it it took long to start. Thinks it could be starter but he will also check fuel pressure Tuesday as well so I have to take it back.

Last edited by karpetcm; 01-04-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
And since this is an LT1, the fuel pressure regulator is a SNAP to replace (unlike on LS1 cars where the tank must be dropped to get to it ).
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the vaccum hose no fuel there I'll have him check the pressure on Tuesday. To eliminate this as well should I unplug the map sensor and start the car would that do harm. Only thing I can think of is a fuel problem.what should the pressure be with the vaccum hose off at idle?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator. Same thing happened on my '96 Z28.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider a leaky,bad injector .it will leak fluid over time .
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i figured i took it to a mechanic and went back and forth on fuel and ignition problems just told myself let me go downstairs and pull the map sensor plug and turn the car on. The car did the same thing on the first start took a bit long. But each and every start after that it turned on with no problem as if the problem was never there. Now i need to buy a map sensor. Thanks guys very much for all your advice and help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too long to start, rough idle