General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passenger Wiper issue. Motor or just wiper arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Passenger Wiper issue. Motor or just wiper arm?

Hey guys, ran into an issue with my ever-aging F-body. While I was driving back to school one night in a pretty nasty storm, my passenger wiper decided to stay up on me. I figured, great it's probably a burnt out motor. I have not driven the car much because it is sitting in a storage unit away from nasty road salt. A few days ago, however, I took it out and noticed the wiper arm would move freely, unlike the driver's side. I've never had a problem so I was wondering if anyone can help me decide if it is a wiper arm issue, motor, or both. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got to remove the plastic trim that encloses the area with the wiper motor assembly and make sure everything is still functioning properly. If I recall properly, there are two plastic junction buttons that hold the metal arms to each other. If all the internal arms that are attached to the wiper motor are still attached and cycling properly, then the wiper arm at the post (where it bolts on) has been stripped. If that's the case, then a new wiper arm assembly will fix the problem.

It happened to me last year in a bad rain storm - not fun - Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is only one motor (on the driver side), and the pass. side is connected by linkage. Take the plastic cowl off and have a look. Like said above, it's either broken/loose linkage, or a broken/stripped pass. wiper shaft.

Quick Reply: Passenger Wiper issue. Motor or just wiper arm?