General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starts up on second try everytime if it sits more than 5 minutes...FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Starts up on second try everytime if it sits more than 5 minutes...FIXED

I picked up a new daily driver....2000 TA. I can't figure why it will never start on the first try. Even if I turn it over for a minute it won't start. But if I only turn it over for one second let off and try again it starts instantly every time. Always on the second try. I've learned to just cycle the ignition 3 times for the fuel pump before starting and I never have an issue, but that's a PITA.

Also, if you start is car and warm it up, shut it off, it'll start right back up. If it sits 5 minutes or longer the problem comes back.

Its not fuel relay or a clogged fuel filter
I have new plugs and wires
New battery/alternator...replaced due to other issues
The MAF is clean
If the cam or crank sensor was bad, wouldn't it throw a code???
Same with the temp and IAT sensor too???

Changing the stock fuel pressure regulator with a new stock unit did nothing. GM definitely did not design that part to be replaced.

I just changed out the fuel pump and it works like a charm! Guess it was a faulty check valve in the pump.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 04-02-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Updating!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you tried turning it to the run position(don't start it) for a few seconds, then back to the off position then right back to the run position then try starting it...?

How high is the fuel pressure, and how long does it hold the pressure after you shut it off..?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Have you tried turning it to the run position(don't start it) for a few seconds, then back to the off position then right back to the run position then try starting it...?

How high is the fuel pressure, and how long does it hold the pressure after you shut it off..?

I don't have a gauge to check. One of the only tools I don't have.

I noticed the throttle position sensor wires look pretty bad. I bought a new connector with the wires for the hell of it.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-21-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issue on a 98Z. Put a fuel pressure gage on it and pressure would quickly drop after shut off. Traced it to a leak in the accordion fuel line in tank. Turned out clip for pressure regulator was installed wrong at factory and a clip ear touched hose, eventually wore a hole in it. I found it when I was going to check regulator to see if it had trash in it allowing it to leak off pressure.

So check pressure drop off, if it doesn't hold, look for bleed off point. In tank lines, regulator, check valve in pump, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just read your 2nd post. I'd highly recommend torque app if you have an android phone. Allows you to see sensor readings real time so you don't have to troubleshoot blind.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd get it scanned for codes, if possible.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-20-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

I could have sworn I've primed fuel system a few times by cycling the key a few times and I still had the same issue. This was also before I really fixed anything on the car. The stock plugs were trashed and it had the original fuel filter too.

Well, just to re-check everything I've done, I cycled the ignition 3 times letting the fuel pump prime for the 2 seconds and the car will fire right up like it should! Image that? Since there is no external fuel leaks, I'm betting its the fuel pressure regulator. Seems like you really can't just buy a new stock unit very easy. I was able to find a seller on ebay that has a bunch of NOS GM units for $50. I'm going to install it as soon as I get it and hopefully that fixes it. My next plan would be the fuel pump because of this internal check valve I'm reading about. If I have to take it apart again to change that, so be it. If not, I saved myself some cash not wasting it on a working pump.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Damnit. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it still does the same thing. BTW, that was one of the biggest pain in the asses I've ever had to do and is NOT made to be replaced. This metal barbed pipe its attached to is forced in the plastic bucket. Hardest thing ever to get out.. *(&%&^$&&%^&*(*%^@

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-25-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't already, you need to put a gauge on the rail to confirm fuel pressure. I'd bet it is the fuel pump.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

That's next on the list. What should the readings be? 58 psi when its running right? What about when the car is off? Should the pressure drop at all?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

The pressure should not drop. I have a similar problem with pressure bleeding at the tank and it takes 3 cycles, but my car is a 98 as well

I also suggest checking your gas cap to make sure the rubber seal isn't cracked
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
That's next on the list. What should the readings be? 58 psi when its running right? What about when the car is off? Should the pressure drop at all?
I thought I remembered it being 55 on my gauge, so 58 should be just fine. I did not notice any drop off when I checked it after about 10 minutes after shut down. It may bleed slightly over time, but the fuel pump should prime when you turn the key and bring it back to 58 without issue.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

I'm about to change the fuel pump in the next day or so with a 255 lph Walbro. I still have the same issue. Takes 3 cycles of priming the fuel pump with the ignition switch to start. HOPEFULLY that'll fix my problem! Will update after its done.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Teching In

The fuel pressure regulator is located inside the fuel tank on the pump assembly. (The pressure reg. looking item on the fuel rail in the engine bay is only a pulse damper) Mine was doing the same thing with starting hard on first crank. It's either the regulator or the pump itself and once your into the tank, you might as well replace both. Be for-warned...the regulator costs like $80 from GM dealer but what ya gonna do... good luck

Last edited by Bigbee; 04-01-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bigbee
The fuel pressure regulator is located inside the fuel tank on the pump assembly. (The pressure reg. looking item on the fuel rail in the engine bay is only a pulse damper) Mine was doing the same thing with starting hard on first crank. It's either the regulator or the pump itself and once your into the tank, you might as well replace both. Be for-warned...the regulator costs like $80 from GM dealer but what ya gonna do... good luck
Already replaced the FPR in the tank with a new GM unit. Cost me $50 on ebay for a NOS piece.

Damnit. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it still does the same thing. BTW, that was one of the biggest pain in the asses I've ever had to do and is NOT made to be replaced. This metal barbed pipe its attached to is forced in the plastic bucket. Hardest thing ever to get out.. *(&%&^$&&%^&*(*%^@
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I've had this issue since replacing my FPR... got an adjustable one (for no reason), and no interest in replacing it again. I just deal with it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Already replaced the FPR in the tank with a new GM unit. Cost me $50 on ebay for a NOS piece.
Did you ever check fuel pressure?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

No, only because I was 100% sure it was losing pressure as it sat. It wouldn't have told me anything I didn't already know.

I just finished changing the pump. Primed it a few times and of course it fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes then I let it sit for about 20 minutes. It fired right up immediately. I think I may have finally fixed it because it wouldn't have worked the first try. I'll have to do some more through testing in time. Also, if you shake the old pump, you can here something rattling inside. I can only imagine that's the check valve that's faulty.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotcha. Hopefully you solved the issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help. So far so good with driving around town running errands. I'm pretty confident it's fixed for good!

Quick Reply: Starts up on second try everytime if it sits more than 5 minutes...FIXED